Author Topic: Photo <echanice and Mac Mail  (Read 4283 times)

Offline susanschulman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo <echanice and Mac Mail
« on: August 05, 2008, 04:16:28 AM »
I use Mac OSX 10.5.4  / imac 3.06 ghz intel core duo/memory 4 gb 800 mhz. I use photo mechanic 4.4.3.3

While I have never had any problems using my mac mail program ( Version 3.4 (928/928.1)) to email pix from photo mechanic, very recently -- perhaps timed to mac going over to mobile me ??? - it has infuriatingly stopped working. Photo mechanic crashes each and every time . Sometimes, so does mac mail.

This is a brand new problem I have never encountered previously. Have you heard this before ? Is there a bug or something that needs correcting ? I would be v grateful for any help on this as it is very very exasperating to say the least .

thank you

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo <echanice and Mac Mail
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 06:33:35 AM »
Susan,

I use Mac OSX 10.5.4  / imac 3.06 ghz intel core duo/memory 4 gb 800 mhz. I use photo mechanic 4.4.3.3

While I have never had any problems using my mac mail program ( Version 3.4 (928/928.1)) to email pix from photo mechanic, very recently -- perhaps timed to mac going over to mobile me ??? - it has infuriatingly stopped working. Photo mechanic crashes each and every time . Sometimes, so does mac mail.

This is a brand new problem I have never encountered previously. Have you heard this before ? Is there a bug or something that needs correcting ? I would be v grateful for any help on this as it is very very exasperating to say the least .

It is a bug in Apple's Mail application that is causing the problem.  We have filed a bug report with them and hopefully they will fix it soon.

We have added some code to version 4.5.3.2 of Photo Mechanic to try and work around the problem in Apple's Mail application but so far the only solution is to make sure you have PM set to "Review email in email application before sending" set when you use the email feature.

Also, version 4.4.3.3 is not very compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 at all.  There are numerous issues that 10.5 raised in even the most recent 4.5 versions of Photo Mechanic that we have had to solve.  Printing issues, directory scanning speed issues, file access speed issues, crashes related to using the Variables drawer in various dialogs, etc.

If you're set on using Mac OS X 10.5 then I strongly suggest that you upgrade to version 4.5.3.2 of Photo Mechanic when it is released.  Version 4.5.3.2 is currently in beta but will be released this week.

-Kirk

Offline photopix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Photo <echanice and Mac Mail
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 11:34:26 AM »
I had the same issue last week.....

A fellow on the MACOSHINTS forum had the following suggestion:

just change port to 587 which should be set on any laptop IMHO
ie. if you roam between networks.

In Mail > Preferences > Outgoing SMTP drop down then Edit Server
choose smtp.mac.com > Advanced >

server port 587 Use Secure Sockets Layer on
Authentication password
then enter username /password of your mobile me account.

SO I did as suggested and Photo Mechanic is working normally once more.
Best of luck.
photopix@migdale.com