Author Topic: difficulty with photoshop previews  (Read 2819 times)

Offline sladeship

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
difficulty with photoshop previews
« on: July 26, 2008, 01:51:36 PM »
When I edit an NEF file in Photoshop and return to Photo Mechanic with a PSD file, the preview image in the contact sheet is very pixellated. And when I double click to examine the photo in the preview window, the image takes some time to create and even then has much higher contrast and sharpness than when seen in Photoshop. Do I need to reset a preference somewhere to render Photoshop images more effectively?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: difficulty with photoshop previews
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 02:18:07 PM »
When I edit an NEF file in Photoshop and return to Photo Mechanic with a PSD file, the preview image in the contact sheet is very pixellated. And when I double click to examine the photo in the preview window, the image takes some time to create and even then has much higher contrast and sharpness than when seen in Photoshop. Do I need to reset a preference somewhere to render Photoshop images more effectively?

You need to tell Photoshop to 'Maximize Compatibility' when saving PSD files.  You didn't mention your OS platform, but if it is Windows, you'll also need to install a fairly recent version of Apple's QuickTime which PM uses to render PSD files.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline sladeship

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: difficulty with photoshop previews
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 02:39:56 PM »
I am using an Intel iMac with 10.5.4, and all recent upgrades. I looked in my Photoshop preferences, under File Handling, and I have "Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility" set to "Always". Does it need to be set somewhere else as well?