Author Topic: What About "Stacks" and Multiple "Versions"? I Miss Elements!  (Read 2825 times)

Inabil1ty

What About "Stacks" and Multiple "Versions"? I Miss Elements!
« on: August 01, 2008, 07:32:59 PM »
Well, I suspect I won't be missing Photoshop Elements for long based on the rave reviews I've ready about PM, but I have been using Elements' Organizer for several years and have grown accustomed to its ability to "stack" (within a thumbnail) multiple versions of the same photo.  That way, when I browse through my photos, I don't have to look at all 10 versions of a particular photo; I just see the photo I've designated to be on top of the stack.  I am new to PM (just installed the demo) and can't seem to find a similar feature.  Is it lacking?  If so, is that because it has some other (better?) way to manage multiple versions of the same file?  Do tell. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: What About "Stacks" and Multiple "Versions"? I Miss Elements!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:51:22 PM »
Well, I suspect I won't be missing Photoshop Elements for long based on the rave reviews I've ready about PM, but I have been using Elements' Organizer for several years and have grown accustomed to its ability to "stack" (within a thumbnail) multiple versions of the same photo.  That way, when I browse through my photos, I don't have to look at all 10 versions of a particular photo; I just see the photo I've designated to be on top of the stack.  I am new to PM (just installed the demo) and can't seem to find a similar feature.  Is it lacking?  If so, is that because it has some other (better?) way to manage multiple versions of the same file?

There is no such feature in Photo Mechanic.  Photo Mechanic does not have any facility to manage multiple versions of the same file.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 06:11:19 AM »
While PM indeed does not have something like stacks, you could perhaps find a work-around for this by using (a combination of) the rating and/or colour codes.  You could for instance give all "secondary" images a colour code, and then filter those out to remove them form view.  While not exactly the same, maybe this would be enough for you?

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Inabil1ty

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 03:59:57 AM »
While PM indeed does not have something like stacks, you could perhaps find a work-around for this by using (a combination of) the rating and/or colour codes.  You could for instance give all "secondary" images a colour code, and then filter those out to remove them form view.  While not exactly the same, maybe this would be enough for you?

Great idea!  Thanks.