Author Topic: Show blown highlights & lost shadows in review mode.  (Read 19034 times)

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Show blown highlights & lost shadows in review mode.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »
Please add my vote for this feature request, too.

+1 from me.  I actually was looking in the PM manual yesterday for this feature!    Peter

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 12:17:06 PM »
No only do I still think is is a good idea... I'll add more to it....

Video monitors can display what's in focus... where there are sharp lines of contrast on the screen, it presumes that that part of the image is in focus, and draws lines in the image.  Marshall calls this a Peaking Filter.   Very cool. 

I can imagine that it would be a good way to check focus without opening up the Preview panel.   When on, the image would look like the lower right image here... the red lines indicate area where the focus is sharp.

"The Peaking Filter is used to aid the camera operator in obtaining the sharpest possible picture. When activated, all color will be removed from the display and a black-and-white image will remain. The internal processor will display RED color on the screen where sharp edges appear. When the camera operator adjusts (or "racks") the focus control (on the camera lens), different parts of the image will have RED colored edges. This indicates that this portion of the image is sharp or in focus. Final focus is achieved by racking the camera lens focus control back and forth until the desired portion of the image has RED colored edges. Please note that this feature is most effective when the subject is properly exposed and contains enough contrast to be processed."  From LCDracks.com

Offline Citizenzoltan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 10:00:32 AM »
A provocative yet constructive question from a new (otherwise very happy) PM user:

Anyone from PM still reading this??

- The idea was suggested 5!! years ago when it was was seen a good idea by the developer, too. Since no response from PM...
- Since then lots of users confirmed they need it
- Since then all major photo editors / catalogue software nailed it (ViewNX, Capture NX2, Apple's aperture, Canon's DPP etc. etc.)
- It does offer more vs. relying on the histogram in that it helps to identify where you have the blown areas.
- This function realtes closely to the core competence of PM - ie. to screen the keepers quickly and easily.
- Seems easy to be implemented - ie. not a complex request.

If you agree with the above analyses, can we see it in the next version, please? Thanks for listening!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
A provocative yet constructive question from a new (otherwise very happy) PM user:

Anyone from PM still reading this??

Yes.  I read all posts on these forums.

Quote from: Citizenzoltan
- The idea was suggested 5!! years ago when it was was seen a good idea by the developer, too. Since no response from PM...
- Since then lots of users confirmed they need it
- Since then all major photo editors / catalogue software nailed it (ViewNX, Capture NX2, Apple's aperture, Canon's DPP etc. etc.)
- It does offer more vs. relying on the histogram in that it helps to identify where you have the blown areas.
- This function realtes closely to the core competence of PM - ie. to screen the keepers quickly and easily.
- Seems easy to be implemented - ie. not a complex request.

If you agree with the above analyses, can we see it in the next version, please? Thanks for listening!

We'll see.  I'd sincerely like to add it.  I need to convince others on the team that it is worthwhile as well.

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 06:40:16 PM »
Yes.  I read all posts on these forums.
We'll see.  I'd sincerely like to add it.  I need to convince others on the team that it is worthwhile as well.
Maybe others on the team should read all the posts too.   :)

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 05:41:19 PM »
Kirk,
As an amateur and enthusiat photographer, I can tell you that a button to turn on/off "View blown highlights & lost shadows" would also be very important in deciding whether to open the picture in an editor. It is for me the most important thing to be checked in a photo (besides sharpness).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline pwp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 04:21:42 PM »
Yes, the "show blown highlights & lost shadows" feature would be a very useful feature. Sometimes I'm not aware of clipping issues until I'm in Lightroom.

Just to expand the concept a very handy companion in Preview mode would be a simple RGB readout that could sit under the histogram that changes as the cursor is moved around the image. So rather than just a visual indicator of clipping, the RGB readout tells you precisely where the image blows out to 255 or shadows sink down to under 5 or 10. This has been a feature of other image browsers for many years.

Paul Wright

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 04:50:58 AM »
This has been a feature of other image browsers for many years.

Paul Wright

What other browsers have had this? Maybe we should switch to one of them? Although I do like PM speed and reliability, I would probably switch away from it if it turned into unreliable bloatware (for an example, see Microsoft's "improvements" to iView MediaPro).

Mick

Offline PhotogJC1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 08:00:32 AM »
I haven't been on the forum for a while but a PM user for many, many years.  This browers is intended as an efficiency screening/selection tool, and as such a switch for highlights and shadows is very worthwhile.  I am a professional photographer specializing in portraiture and events.

While I think PM is great, this improvement is long over due, IMHO. :)
Jim

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 05:52:38 AM »
Add me to the list of requestees!

In the case where an image is bracketed, it is important to know what's blown or what's shadow blocked.  After all, that is the main point of the bracket if you shoot raw.  Even when not bracketed, I might be picking one image from a burst sequence.  One decision point is exposure, in the case where the light varied across the sequence.

IMO PM is not an editor but a really great browser would tell me these attributes of the images.  IOW, I think this is a browser feature  ;D

And anything that keeps me out of Capture NX when culling and selecting is a great thing!

I'll also add that PM has the most responsive team of developers I've ever run across and they certainly read their support forum and respond when they are aligned with the requests.  Sometimes, though, it takes a little gentle persuasion!  That's not the same as unresponsive.

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 06:23:34 AM »
I'm doing more sports photography -- and one lesson (of many) that I've learned the hard way is that the first photog to get his/her sharp and properly exposed picture to the editor's desk is more likely to get run that the guy that turns in a competent photo 20 minutes later.

Time is of the essence in sports photography -- and anything that can cut time between shoot and send to editor makes a difference.

Offline Aztwang

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 09:04:56 PM »
+1.....PM is a first level selector....blown highlights is a must.....What a great addition that would be!

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 05:39:18 AM »
Histogram is also a good tool for this.
Marc

Offline pescatore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • 12-Fotos.de
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 06:15:08 AM »
Histogram does not help! You see only that you have blown highlights & lost shadows but not where - and the Where is significant in a lot of cases!
This is discussed some entries earlier...

It's not understandable for me that it needs such a long time to implement, and why we don't get an answer from Camerabits relating to this often requested feature...

Regards

Uwe
--

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »
Uwe,

Histogram does not help! You see only that you have blown highlights & lost shadows but not where - and the Where is significant in a lot of cases!
This is discussed some entries earlier...

It's not understandable for me that it needs such a long time to implement, and why we don't get an answer from Camerabits relating to this often requested feature...

When I have something to report, I'll be sure to post back here on this thread.

-Kirk