Author Topic: sort navigator by date created  (Read 5005 times)

Offline pmathew

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
sort navigator by date created
« on: August 03, 2008, 06:29:11 PM »
Hi, Would it be possible to change the sort of navigator to date created
I've requested this before, quite a long time ago and you agreed it would be useful, is there any chance of it happening anytime soon? It would be really really useful. At the moment If I cant remember what I named a folder I often have go to my finder (sorted by date) so that I can find the name of the folder I'm looking for,  then go back to PM to find it in the navigator.
Cheers

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: sort navigator by date created
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »
Hi, Would it be possible to change the sort of navigator to date created
I've requested this before, quite a long time ago and you agreed it would be useful, is there any chance of it happening anytime soon? It would be really really useful. At the moment If I cant remember what I named a folder I often have go to my finder (sorted by date) so that I can find the name of the folder I'm looking for,  then go back to PM to find it in the navigator.

It is possible.  I am not sure when I will add that capability however.

-Kirk

Offline pmathew

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 10:40:14 PM »
Hi Just replying to this again as apparently it will move the request back to the top of the queue. I'm a bit surprised other people don't request this feature also. I have a very large archive with folders named by subject not date and although its workable to just keep a finder window open to see a chronological sort of folders by date created and from there go to browse in Photo mechanic, it is a bit clunky. It is however still much better than Lightroom's Folders panel that doesn't allow any sort options and as far as I'm aware no way to go from a folder in finder (mac) directly to the corresponding folder in Lightroom). If this was something relatively easy to implement for PM it really would be a great feature.
Thanks
Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 09:12:52 AM »
Peter,

Hi Just replying to this again as apparently it will move the request back to the top of the queue. I'm a bit surprised other people don't request this feature also. I have a very large archive with folders named by subject not date and although its workable to just keep a finder window open to see a chronological sort of folders by date created and from there go to browse in Photo mechanic, it is a bit clunky. It is however still much better than Lightroom's Folders panel that doesn't allow any sort options and as far as I'm aware no way to go from a folder in finder (mac) directly to the corresponding folder in Lightroom). If this was something relatively easy to implement for PM it really would be a great feature.

The Navigator in Photo Mechanic 6 can sort by date, ascending or descending.  Does it not work for you?

-Kirk

Offline pmathew

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 05:20:40 PM »
Hi Kirk, sorry for the long delay in replying.
Yes the date ascending or descending order works but it is based on date modified. I'm not exactly sure what modifications affect this (whether files inside the folder or sub folders get modified or whether the actual folder has to be changed) ... anyway the navigator panel of my archive is not very chronological anymore and I frequently have to use mac finder to see that chronological list (by date created)  I can then use  the services menu to "Browse with Photo Mechanic" :) It works but it would be great to have the navigator panel sort folders by date originally created.
 By the way, is there any way that there could be a feature to go from an image or folder in photo mechanic to that folder or image in LrC? (using the edit in Lightroom function just takes you to the import window and I cant see a way to get from there to the actual folder in LrC for images that have already been imported.
Cheers
Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 06:08:50 PM »
Peter,

Yes the date ascending or descending order works but it is based on date modified. I'm not exactly sure what modifications affect this (whether files inside the folder or sub folders get modified or whether the actual folder has to be changed) ... anyway the navigator panel of my archive is not very chronological anymore and I frequently have to use mac finder to see that chronological list (by date created)  I can then use  the services menu to "Browse with Photo Mechanic" :) It works but it would be great to have the navigator panel sort folders by date originally created.

Creation Date sort could be added, but not all file systems offer Creation Date on folders (or files).  So it wouldn't always work for all file systems.

By the way, is there any way that there could be a feature to go from an image or folder in photo mechanic to that folder or image in LrC?

No, that's not possible.  We don't have any way to tell Lightroom what to do with the files we hand off to it.

-Kirk