Author Topic: open windows allow use of keyboard  (Read 7793 times)

Offline chipeast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
open windows allow use of keyboard
« on: April 26, 2006, 07:48:25 pm »
Kirk:

Would it be possible to return the ability to strike a key in an open Finder window allowing you to goto the first item with that letter?  I think I remember this in version three... so when I goto "File, Open New Contact Sheet," it will allow me to goto the XXXXXXX folder when I just type "X" on the keyboard?

Many thanks..........Chip

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: open windows allow use of keyboard
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 07:59:32 pm »
Would it be possible to return the ability to strike a key in an open Finder window allowing you to goto the first item with that letter?  I think I remember this in version three... so when I goto "File, Open New Contact Sheet," it will allow me to goto the XXXXXXX folder when I just type "X" on the keyboard?

That's a function of Apple's Open and Save dialogs.  Photo Mechanic has no control over them, other than to tell them to display starting at a particular folder.  What you remember was probably in the Mac OS 9 and earlier operating systems.

-Kirk

Offline chipeast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 04:46:30 am »
Kirk:

If you open any other application, and open the New/Open dialog window, you will have the ability to strike a key and have the first item which starts with that letter selected.  This has worked in the Mac OS since at least System 7 (1990), and works with all current applications I use in Mac OS-X, 10.4... except yours.  If you have a long list of folders you have to watch, this is a big time saver... avoids the scrolling and mousing.  In your app, the arrow keys don't seem to work in the Open dialog box either.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 06:37:30 am »
If you open any other application, and open the New/Open dialog window, you will have the ability to strike a key and have the first item which starts with that letter selected.  This has worked in the Mac OS since at least System 7 (1990), and works with all current applications I use in Mac OS-X, 10.4... except yours.  If you have a long list of folders you have to watch, this is a big time saver... avoids the scrolling and mousing.  In your app, the arrow keys don't seem to work in the Open dialog box either.

I just tried what you described.  I typed 't' and it scrolled to the folders starting with 'T'.  I then used the arrow keys to move up and down the list.  Worked fine.

When you use the Open dialogs, look for the blue (or grey if you got rid of the aqua) focus ring in the dialog.  Whatever has the ring, has the keyboard focus.  You may have to type the Tab key once or twice to get the focus to change to the list.  Once that is done, what you describe should work.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline chipeast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 09:40:43 am »
Amazing..... must have been locked on the left half of the window since original install on this machine and my other one.  Wonder if there is a reference in the application's stored prefs somewhere..... never knew about the tab key shifting the selected portion of the window in those dialog boxes.  That's why you build UI and I just do QA and UAT!

Several of us have the same problem, so I will pass along the easiest of corrections onto them.  Please move this towards the end of your list, but I wonder it there is a way to purge this out of the prefs, or make the pref set to the right-side box, which allows folder selection.

Many thanks....... Chip

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 10:35:43 am »
Amazing..... must have been locked on the left half of the window since original install on this machine and my other one.  Wonder if there is a reference in the application's stored prefs somewhere..... never knew about the tab key shifting the selected portion of the window in those dialog boxes.  That's why you build UI and I just do QA and UAT!

Several of us have the same problem, so I will pass along the easiest of corrections onto them.  Please move this towards the end of your list, but I wonder it there is a way to purge this out of the prefs, or make the pref set to the right-side box, which allows folder selection.

Like I said earlier, Photo Mechanic does not have that level of control over the Open/Save dialogs.  As a matter of fact, the Open/Save dialogs save their own settings inside our application's preferences file.  I'm sure once you get the focus set on the systems you have, they won't need to be fiddled with again.

I'll consider this one closed.

-Kirk