Author Topic: New Folder within a folder command  (Read 4125 times)

Offline stangame

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
New Folder within a folder command
« on: August 05, 2008, 03:12:56 AM »
I am running Pentium 4 XP home using NTFS format, 1.5gb ram, 20gb spare hard drive capacity, PhotoMechanic 4.5.3.1 and working on files from an external USB 2 connected hard drive, NTFS format, again 20gb+ spare capacity. When I make a new sub folder command it takes a very long time (in excess of two minutes sometimes) for the folder to appear. The LED indicator on the external hard drive suggests a great deal of processing taking place before the folder appears. this is very frustrating, slowing my workflow considerably. Any suggestions to cure it?
I can run a similar command in other domestic level viewer software on the same ext drive and the sub folder will appear straight away.
Regards, Stan.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: New Folder within a folder command
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 06:25:32 AM »
Stan,

I am running Pentium 4 XP home using NTFS format, 1.5gb ram, 20gb spare hard drive capacity, PhotoMechanic 4.5.3.1 and working on files from an external USB 2 connected hard drive, NTFS format, again 20gb+ spare capacity. When I make a new sub folder command it takes a very long time (in excess of two minutes sometimes) for the folder to appear. The LED indicator on the external hard drive suggests a great deal of processing taking place before the folder appears. this is very frustrating, slowing my workflow considerably. Any suggestions to cure it?
I can run a similar command in other domestic level viewer software on the same ext drive and the sub folder will appear straight away.

How are you creating this sub folder?  With the Navigator?

What is "other domestic level viewer software"?  I am not familiar with that.

-Kirk

Offline stangame

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 03:17:38 AM »
Hello Kirk, I am creating the command by right clicking on the folder I wish to create a subfolder within and then left clicking the command "new folder inside this folder".
The domestic (consumer as opposed to pro) viewer software I tested for comparison is ACDSee 5.0. I have just tried another, Faststone 3.5 and that is instant also.
If you think there may be conflicts, I do not run different viewers at the same time.

Thanks for responding, Stan.

Offline stangame

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 01:23:25 AM »
I have just loaded Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2 and for the present at least it has reduced sub folder creation to just a few seconds, that will do for now. Life is too short to worry further..
Many thanks Kirk, Stan.