Author Topic: Export/convert files  (Read 7286 times)

Offline courtlevephoto

• View Profile
Export/convert files
« on: July 31, 2008, 08:11:03 AM »
I mostly shoot raw, edit in Light Room and export my edits in DNG format.  Often I need to then deliver images to a client as jpegs.  LR will do this but once you've exported your images and converted them to dng files, you need to reimport the files to LR just to convert.

I find myself using the send to email function in PM to create jpeg files from my dng or raw images as needed, and just grab the images from my newly created email and place these into a new folder.  This works really well except that if you create full size jpegs for email(mac mail in my case) doesn't like to create more than say 20 or so at a time before mac mail gets really slow, or stops all-together.

I would be STOKED to see the ability to export raw and dng files right out of PM.  Or for that case to export jpegs as smaller files.  Any chance of this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Export/convert files
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:23:22 AM »
I mostly shoot raw, edit in Light Room and export my edits in DNG format.  Often I need to then deliver images to a client as jpegs.  LR will do this but once you've exported your images and converted them to dng files, you need to reimport the files to LR just to convert.

I find myself using the send to email function in PM to create jpeg files from my dng or raw images as needed, and just grab the images from my newly created email and place these into a new folder.  This works really well except that if you create full size jpegs for email(mac mail in my case) doesn't like to create more than say 20 or so at a time before mac mail gets really slow, or stops all-together.

There is no point in sending more than one full size JPEG anyway.  The recipient's mail server will reject any email larger than a certain size (set by the service provider but usually it is about 4MB) so they would never receive the email.

Quote from: courtlevephoto
I would be STOKED to see the ability to export raw and dng files right out of PM.  Or for that case to export jpegs as smaller files.  Any chance of this?

Have you tried using the Save As dialog?  It may work with your DNGs.  In 4.6 there is a facility to use the embedded JPEG previews as a source image for Save As.  Version 4.6 is currently in development.

-Kirk

Offline courtlevephoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 12:10:09 PM »
NEF and DNG files can not be saved as....  I get the warning message that states:  "None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution."
There are no other options available.  You can copy an image, but this keeps it in it's original format.

I don't think I was clear earlier with regards to how I use the 'send photo to email' function.  Maybe this will make more sense; I select up to about 20 images that are in either nef or dng format.  I use the send photo to email function. Then I create a folder on my desktop and take the images out of the email and place them in the new folder-hence creating full rez jpeg images.  I never attempt to send that many images at full rez.  I have found trying more than 20 or so images causes issues, memory or mac mail-obviously this feature wasn't intended to send 100 files at full jpeg size via email.  You wind up with a 40-100mb email, or larger... 

Seems that maybe under the export function you currently have to create web galleries, there could also be an 'export as' feature that would allow many of the same options as your 'send photos to email' function allows.  Like custom size, full size, watermark, etc..  Really, the same options only providing you the option to have the new files sent to a folder, instead of email.  I think it's mac mail that is the hang up here if you try to send say 50 images to your mail at full jpeg size.

It would be a PLEASURE to be able to point PM to a folder/selected files and have it automatically create jpegs at a desired output size and batch these into a new folder, etc...  I now have to reimport images to Light Room or batch in PS.  LR does the trick but it's an extra step.  PM makes viewing and going through images so easy, except for taking your raw/dng files and turning them into jpegs...

Does that make sense? I use the send photos to email as a work around to create jpegs at my desire output depending on my clients needs.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:24:18 PM »
NEF and DNG files can not be saved as....  I get the warning message that states:  "None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution."
There are no other options available.  You can copy an image, but this keeps it in it's original format.

I don't think I was clear earlier with regards to how I use the 'send photo to email' function.  Maybe this will make more sense; I select up to about 20 images that are in either nef or dng format.  I use the send photo to email function. Then I create a folder on my desktop and take the images out of the email and place them in the new folder-hence creating full rez jpeg images.  I never attempt to send that many images at full rez.  I have found trying more than 20 or so images causes issues, memory or mac mail-obviously this feature wasn't intended to send 100 files at full jpeg size via email.  You wind up with a 40-100mb email, or larger... 

Seems that maybe under the export function you currently have to create web galleries, there could also be an 'export as' feature that would allow many of the same options as your 'send photos to email' function allows.  Like custom size, full size, watermark, etc..  Really, the same options only providing you the option to have the new files sent to a folder, instead of email.  I think it's mac mail that is the hang up here if you try to send say 50 images to your mail at full jpeg size.

It would be a PLEASURE to be able to point PM to a folder/selected files and have it automatically create jpegs at a desired output size and batch these into a new folder, etc...  I now have to reimport images to Light Room or batch in PS.  LR does the trick but it's an extra step.  PM makes viewing and going through images so easy, except for taking your raw/dng files and turning them into jpegs...

Does that make sense? I use the send photos to email as a work around to create jpegs at my desire output depending on my clients needs.

Yes.  Absolutely.  This is addressed in the Save As feature in the upcoming 4.6 version.

-Kirk