Author Topic: Include PicLens infos in Gallery generation  (Read 5703 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Include PicLens infos in Gallery generation
« on: August 07, 2008, 04:19:57 AM »
piclens.com is a 3Dimage viewing plugin option for web browsers using a kind of XML feed of the images. They offer a simple generator that can be used and if understanding the basics it can be easily added to any of the image web galleries generated by PM, and with the text exporter even the XML can be generated instead of using outside apps. This is why I would find it a useful optional addin to the existing web gallery generation to be able to implement the needed coed upon generation in PM.

From the start point I'm not a programmer nor a HTML editing type and could accomplish it easily it mustn't be so hard to implement in PM. I hope I'm not the only one who finds it useful. I think is one of the fastest and most comfortable way to quickly scan through a lot of images on the web....and a good thing Google and Flickr both support it I hope more and more websites will....I intend!
,-))
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Include PicLens infos in Gallery generation
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 11:34:08 AM »
szurkebarat,

piclens.com is a 3Dimage viewing plugin option for web browsers using a kind of XML feed of the images. They offer a simple generator that can be used and if understanding the basics it can be easily added to any of the image web galleries generated by PM, and with the text exporter even the XML can be generated instead of using outside apps. This is why I would find it a useful optional addin to the existing web gallery generation to be able to implement the needed coed upon generation in PM.

From the start point I'm not a programmer nor a HTML editing type and could accomplish it easily it mustn't be so hard to implement in PM. I hope I'm not the only one who finds it useful. I think is one of the fastest and most comfortable way to quickly scan through a lot of images on the web....and a good thing Google and Flickr both support it I hope more and more websites will....I intend!

I looked at PicLens and it very cool.  But they don't support running PicLens on local files, only media streams like RSS.  They claim that they're working on local file support.  Just keep an eye on it and let me know if they make any progress on this.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 06:31:57 AM »
szurkebarat,

I looked at PicLens and it very cool.  But they don't support running PicLens on local files, only media streams like RSS.  They claim that they're working on local file support.  Just keep an eye on it and let me know if they make any progress on this.

I don't really know much about RSS media streams or local files you think of. But PicLens has a gallery generator app, thet enables to generate the RSS feeds their plugin uses for your images. After I generated one such file I could simply solve to implement it with a gallery generated by PM. So I think it can be implemented relatively easily.

If you run their generator app on the same files that you generate your PM web gallery the output XML can be used with the PM gallery. I have done it myself with VERY-VERY basic knowledge on HTML and without even knowing how RSS works.

The PicLens plugin is looking for a code thet tells it where to find the XML generated. This code can be enterred into the main page of the PM generated gallery (I simlpy copied from their generated page to the PM generated page). The XML contains a pre formatted sturcture that tells PicLens plugin where it finds the thumbnail and the large images. And that is all it simply works. If you add another of their code (I simply copied it as well) - it is Java aplet I think - then the piclens icon appears on gallery thubs to show it can be viewed if you click on it. And it works with all of the HTML galleries generated with PM and even with the Flash ones (of course the PicLens icon wont appear above images since they arent embedded that way. But if you add the XML location PicLens wants you can view the flash gallery also the PicLens way.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 07:21:36 AM »
szurkebarat,

I don't really know much about RSS media streams or local files you think of. But PicLens has a gallery generator app, thet enables to generate the RSS feeds their plugin uses for your images. After I generated one such file I could simply solve to implement it with a gallery generated by PM. So I think it can be implemented relatively easily.

If you run their generator app on the same files that you generate your PM web gallery the output XML can be used with the PM gallery. I have done it myself with VERY-VERY basic knowledge on HTML and without even knowing how RSS works.

The PicLens plugin is looking for a code thet tells it where to find the XML generated. This code can be enterred into the main page of the PM generated gallery (I simlpy copied from their generated page to the PM generated page). The XML contains a pre formatted sturcture that tells PicLens plugin where it finds the thumbnail and the large images. And that is all it simply works. If you add another of their code (I simply copied it as well) - it is Java aplet I think - then the piclens icon appears on gallery thubs to show it can be viewed if you click on it. And it works with all of the HTML galleries generated with PM and even with the Flash ones (of course the PicLens icon wont appear above images since they arent embedded that way. But if you add the XML location PicLens wants you can view the flash gallery also the PicLens way.

How about you zip up what you've got and send it to me and I'll take a look at it and see what I can do.

Thanks,

-Kirk