Author Topic: Saved Spotlight Searches in PM  (Read 4871 times)

Offline mosdave

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Saved Spotlight Searches in PM
« on: August 09, 2008, 01:26:12 PM »
Hi

I use the Mac version of PM and I'm patiently waiting for the catalog features that will be coming. In the meantime I have created some saved searches using Spotlight and the Finder.

For example I have a smart folder that searches my all my NEFs containing photos that used a focal length between 10 and 18mm so I can quickly view all my wide angle shots. Finder shows me a thumbnail of the results but not much else. It would be great if PM could access the saved searches I have created and display the results in PM.

The saved searches are stored in ~user/Library/Saved Searches/ folder.

As PM already utilises spotlight would this be easy to implement?

Cheers
Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Saved Spotlight Searches in PM
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 08:20:28 PM »
Dave,

I use the Mac version of PM and I'm patiently waiting for the catalog features that will be coming. In the meantime I have created some saved searches using Spotlight and the Finder.

For example I have a smart folder that searches my all my NEFs containing photos that used a focal length between 10 and 18mm so I can quickly view all my wide angle shots. Finder shows me a thumbnail of the results but not much else. It would be great if PM could access the saved searches I have created and display the results in PM.

The saved searches are stored in ~user/Library/Saved Searches/ folder.

As PM already utilises spotlight would this be easy to implement?

There is no need to implement such a feature.  Use the Search panel to create a custom search and then save it as a Favorite.  Later you can double-click on the saved search in the Favorites pane of the Contact Sheet window.

-Kirk

Offline mosdave

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 12:57:22 AM »
Hi Kirk

Yeah I tried doing that but I can't use a search field more than once. For example in my 10-18mm focal length search PM only lets me use the focal length field once before it is grayed out and so I can't use it again. This prevents me from entering >=10 and <=18 for the focal length search criteria.

Cheers
Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 06:49:09 AM »
Dave,

Yeah I tried doing that but I can't use a search field more than once. For example in my 10-18mm focal length search PM only lets me use the focal length field once before it is grayed out and so I can't use it again. This prevents me from entering >=10 and <=18 for the focal length search criteria.

I see.  Well I'll look into relaxing that restriction in version 4.6.

-Kirk