Author Topic: magnifying loupe  (Read 5776 times)

Offline lance7

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
magnifying loupe
« on: August 17, 2008, 08:10:19 AM »
I would like to see a magnifying loupe with enlargeable percentages that can be used on the contact sheets. The preview runs unbearably slow when enlarged because It is blowing up the whole file. I have a G5 which isn't the oldest computer but, the screen redraws are way too slow. If there was an option for an enlarging loupe, like in Apple's Aperture, I wouldn't even really need the preview screen any longer and could look at the contact sheets for composition and then use the loupe to check for focus. This is how it used to be done with slide film and think this would be a great addition to this program. Other photographers and I have discussed the other programs like Aperture and Lightroom and still feel that you can accomplish most of what you need with PM but, to speed up a work flow the loupe feature would vastly speed things up.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: magnifying loupe
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 09:37:26 AM »
I would like to see a magnifying loupe with enlargeable percentages that can be used on the contact sheets. The preview runs unbearably slow when enlarged because It is blowing up the whole file. I have a G5 which isn't the oldest computer but, the screen redraws are way too slow. If there was an option for an enlarging loupe, like in Apple's Aperture, I wouldn't even really need the preview screen any longer and could look at the contact sheets for composition and then use the loupe to check for focus. This is how it used to be done with slide film and think this would be a great addition to this program. Other photographers and I have discussed the other programs like Aperture and Lightroom and still feel that you can accomplish most of what you need with PM but, to speed up a work flow the loupe feature would vastly speed things up.

This is coming in version 4.6.

-Kirk

Offline Ed Wolfstein

• Ed Wolfstein - Photographer
    • View Profile
    • PhotoSelter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »
Hopefully with a variable zoom using a scroll wheel mouse or two-fingers on the touchpad...
Ed Wolfstein - Photographer
100 Church Street
Burlington, Vermont, 05401 USA

http://www.edpix.com
802-864-8334

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:52:43 PM »
Hopefully with a variable zoom using a scroll wheel mouse or two-fingers on the touchpad...

The zoom level is currently not adjustable.  It is set at 100%.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 01:25:16 AM »
It is great! Could it be a separate window to put it on a second display if one uses two (or more) displays? It would be also great to have some optional settings for the new loupe:
-allways on top
-center on focus point
-center on predefinied part of the image (preferably a different one for landscape images and a different one for portrait images)

Since the zoom level can't be changed the later two options would be very good. The first one mostly for my multi display workflow.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 06:27:38 AM »
It is great! Could it be a separate window to put it on a second display if one uses two (or more) displays? It would be also great to have some optional settings for the new loupe:
-allways on top
-center on focus point
-center on predefinied part of the image (preferably a different one for landscape images and a different one for portrait images)

Since the zoom level can't be changed the later two options would be very good. The first one mostly for my multi display workflow.

No separate window.  Focus point is where you click.  The feature is fully implemented on both platforms and it is highly unlikely that I will make any changes to it before the initial release of version 4.6.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 05:19:01 AM »
-allways on top
-center on focus point

No separate window.  Focus point is where you click.  The feature is fully implemented on both platforms and it is highly unlikely that I will make any changes to it before the initial release of version 4.6.

-Kirk

Then we have an exciting wait to see it and will come with our good ideas after feautre and new version is presented.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com