Author Topic: Updating (4.5.3.1 -> 4.5.3.2)  (Read 2458 times)

Offline MikeA

• View Profile
Updating (4.5.3.1 -> 4.5.3.2)
« on: August 10, 2008, 02:07:58 PM »
A quick search here didn't turn up any messages about updating, but apologies if that's because my search was inept...

I'm a relatively new user (of version 4.5.3.1) and have just downloaded the version 4.5.3.2 update for Windows. So this will be my first time updating an existing installation. The installer doesn't seem to have detected 4.5.3.1 in its present installation directory -- it is suggesting a default location within C:\Program Files.

Is it required first to un-install v.4.5.3.1 before installing 4.5.3.2? If not, will pointing the 4.5.3.2 installer at the present installation directory fully overwrite what's now installed, but preserve existing presets of various kinds? Or should I back up all of those files first -- IPTC templates and the like --? (Unless there's a good reason to have two entirely different versions on the same machine, I would prefer simply to overwrite the 4.5.3.1 installation with the upgrade.)

Thanks.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can invent as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Updating (4.5.3.1 -> 4.5.3.2)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 06:59:13 PM »
Mike,

A quick search here didn't turn up any messages about updating, but apologies if that's because my search was inept...

I'm a relatively new user (of version 4.5.3.1) and have just downloaded the version 4.5.3.2 update for Windows. So this will be my first time updating an existing installation. The installer doesn't seem to have detected 4.5.3.1 in its present installation directory -- it is suggesting a default location within C:\Program Files.

Is it required first to un-install v.4.5.3.1 before installing 4.5.3.2? If not, will pointing the 4.5.3.2 installer at the present installation directory fully overwrite what's now installed, but preserve existing presets of various kinds? Or should I back up all of those files first -- IPTC templates and the like --? (Unless there's a good reason to have two entirely different versions on the same machine, I would prefer simply to overwrite the 4.5.3.1 installation with the upgrade.)

You can point the 4.5.3.2 installer at the same location that you used for 4.5.3.1.  All settings will be preserved.

-Kirk

Offline MikeA

• View Profile
Re: Updating (4.5.3.1 -> 4.5.3.2)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:05:20 PM »
> You can point the 4.5.3.2 installer at the same location
> that you used for 4.5.3.1.  All settings will be preserved.
> -Kirk

Thanks!
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can invent as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic