Author Topic: Photo Mechanice 4.4.3.3 crashes on start-up when running Roxio creator  (Read 3160 times)

Offline vasha

• View Profile
I have been unable to launch PM 4.4.3.3 on windows XP SP3 (2GB RAM, 2.20 Core2Duo Dell Latitude D830) when burning a DVD in Roxio CreatorDE (Module Name: Roxio Core Version: 3.3.0 Build: 331B17F, DLD Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2006). I'm a non-administrative user on this work machine. It has crashed each time I tried to launch it while a disk was burning. The one time it launched was in-between burns, and it crashed as soon as I started the next DVD burn. Any idea what would cause this? Unfortunately, my company isn't going to be real receptive to the $90 upgrade choice, so I'm hoping there's a way to make the two programs co-exist.

Thanks,

Vasha

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanice 4.4.3.3 crashes on start-up when running Roxio creator
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 07:53:26 PM »
Vasha,

I have been unable to launch PM 4.4.3.3 on windows XP SP3 (2GB RAM, 2.20 Core2Duo Dell Latitude D830) when burning a DVD in Roxio CreatorDE (Module Name: Roxio Core Version: 3.3.0 Build: 331B17F, DLD Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2006). I'm a non-administrative user on this work machine. It has crashed each time I tried to launch it while a disk was burning. The one time it launched was in-between burns, and it crashed as soon as I started the next DVD burn. Any idea what would cause this? Unfortunately, my company isn't going to be real receptive to the $90 upgrade choice, so I'm hoping there's a way to make the two programs co-exist.

I would guess that it wouldn't make any difference if you upgraded to version 4.5.3.2 anyway.  The disc burning code in PM hasn't changed much at all since 4.4.3.3 which you already have.

I don't know why it would crash under those circumstances other than the disc burning library we use in Photo Mechanic must have some problem with it.  We don't get the source code to the library and it has anti-debugging technology in it to prevent tampering with their licensing technology.

I really don't have any solution for you other than to suggest you do your disc burning with Photo Mechanic instead of CreatorDE if it would meet your needs.

-Kirk

Offline vasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 09:09:07 PM »
I'll give that a shot - I've only recently tried PM disk burning on my home Macs with 4.5.x.x and was thinking it wasn't available in 4.4.3.3. Glad to hear it is.

Thanks for the prompt reply Kirk!

Vasha

Offline vasha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 01:02:59 PM »
Kirk, I can't get Photo Mechanic (again 4.4.3.3) to see any of my DVD burners - My laptop (see abouve for specs) has an internal DVD burner and an attached external DVD burner via USB 2.0 - PM sees neither drive.

Also, does 4.4.3.3 support burning more than one folder - I was trying to set up for a multiple-folder burn and couldn't figure out how to open more than one folder in 4.4.3.3.

Thanks,

Vasha

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »
Vasha,

Kirk, I can't get Photo Mechanic (again 4.4.3.3) to see any of my DVD burners - My laptop (see abouve for specs) has an internal DVD burner and an attached external DVD burner via USB 2.0 - PM sees neither drive.

It may be something that the Roxio software is doing that prevents Photo Mechanic from being able to identify your drives.  Does Roxio's software run any services that may interfere?

Quote from: Vasha
Also, does 4.4.3.3 support burning more than one folder - I was trying to set up for a multiple-folder burn and couldn't figure out how to open more than one folder in 4.4.3.3.

You need version 4.5 for that because you would need to open multiple folders into a single contact sheet in order to burn multiple folders and only 4.5 or higher supports that feature.

-Kirk