Author Topic: density/contrast/white-balance controls?  (Read 10847 times)

Offline photosmith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
density/contrast/white-balance controls?
« on: August 12, 2008, 01:20:29 PM »
I know, it's not an editing program, but still, would the world stand still if the program contained the simplest controls for density/contrast and white balance? I would love to be able to shoot RAW and upload lightly gone over proofs directly from PM. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: density/contrast/white-balance controls?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 01:46:08 PM »
I know, it's not an editing program, but still, would the world stand still if the program contained the simplest controls for density/contrast and white balance? I would love to be able to shoot RAW and upload lightly gone over proofs directly from PM. Is this a bad idea?

Photo Mechanic, in general, is not a RAW converter (on Mac OS X, we can take advantage of the OS to do 'as shot' RAW rendering) and really only displays a RAW file's embedded JPEG preview.  Doing adjustments on the preview would be possible but might not have the results you're looking for.

-Kirk

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 10:10:34 PM »
I understand about PM not being a RAW converter. However, what about the option to make the density/contrast/WB adjustments on JPEG images? I know that it has been requested/suggested several times before, and I know the arguments about not wanting PM to become too bloated, but this one additional feature would be so helpful. How about it, Kirk?

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 06:43:05 AM »
Paul,

I understand about PM not being a RAW converter. However, what about the option to make the density/contrast/WB adjustments on JPEG images? I know that it has been requested/suggested several times before, and I know the arguments about not wanting PM to become too bloated, but this one additional feature would be so helpful. How about it, Kirk?

I cannot give you a definitive answer about whether or not it will be implemented.  We'll consider implementing it.

-Kirk

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 08:00:04 PM »
Another vote for 'soft' editing.  I'm one of those who have asked in the past about adding the feature.  With it, there would be no need to open another program like CS to hog even more memory while trying to transmit on a deadline.  White balance we (I at least don't need) but a simple tone control like in the earlier versions of FotoStation would absolutely perfect.  My team could caption, make the minor corrections and upload in one quick stroke.

Kirk:  May be it could be a plugin or separate product for us PJs.  I'd be willing to bet my bottom dollar that once implemented there would be hundreds if not more wondering how they ever worked without a single solution for photojournalist. 

Offline Ed Wolfstein

• Ed Wolfstein - Photographer
    • View Profile
    • PhotoSelter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 10:26:03 PM »
I'm not a programmer... but I've stayed many a night at Holiday Inns... :D

Anyway, I've never really thought PM could be a pixel editor - it's always been a tool working hand-in-hand with Photoshop for my particular workflow. But reading recent posts has got me thinking more about it.

One of the beauties of Photo Mechanic is how "lean" it is as an application - using memory where it should be used: to speed up image selection, and related editing features. It DOES have a nice crop feature (it'd be even NICER if you could rotate the crop a bit - hint, hint) and you can easily save out all your cropped version to a specific output folder. As far as toning is concerned, if a "plug-in" toning module of sorts could be developed along the same lines as PM (very lean, perhaps limited, uncumbered functionality) it COULD replace Photoshop entirely for some users. And if it were an option, it would be nice to be able to toggle it on/off to save memory if you didn't want to use it. Such a module could be limited to brightness/contrast or perhaps have a hook to PictoColor's iCorrect plug-in and leave it all external to Photo Mechanic (except for the rotateable crop)

BTW, iCorrect has some very clever white-balancing and skin toning tools - aside from brightness and contrast control. It works as a Photoshop plug-in, and is Action-able as well in PS. Could it become a plug-in for PM?

Something to think about...

Cheers!

- Ed.

Ed Wolfstein - Photographer
100 Church Street
Burlington, Vermont, 05401 USA

http://www.edpix.com
802-864-8334

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 05:17:21 AM »
I think if a very basic levels tool was added we would consider buying the program at work, we use fotostation pro at the moment and are having no end of trouble with it, we just need a fast program for viewing and then basic levels and captioning of the images

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 05:57:05 AM »
I think if a very basic levels tool was added we would consider buying the program at work, we use fotostation pro at the moment and are having no end of trouble with it, we just need a fast program for viewing and then basic levels and captioning of the images

Do you not have Photoshop?  Photo Mechanic is quite good at sending your images off to Photoshop for that sort of work and tries to stay out of the way as much as possible.  When you return from your edits in Photoshop, Photo Mechanic is ready to continue your work.

-Kirk

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »
Yes but they only give us elements 5 and it is far to slow on our machines we just need a something like photo mechanic but with a levels tool so all can be done in one program, as we are using fotostation pro 6 and its got lots of bugs

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 01:20:34 PM »
Keeping photoshop or CS open requires too much memory overhead.  Being able to adjust levels in PM would really speed up my workflow on assignments.  It doesn't have to be anything complex.  I've called for this feature before because it would speed up transmission for working PJs like myself in the field.  Still have my fingers crossed you'll add it some day soon  ;D

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 02:32:09 PM »
Keep it lean and mean.
A plugin if you must would be fine.
If you slow the program down, ie you have to keep rerendering, whats the point, you may as well use lightroom.
Just my 2c.
Marc
Marc

Offline nmf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 07:31:59 AM »
+1 for basic editing controls at some point in the future.

The ability to ingest, select, edit, caption and transmit all from a single program appeals. I would suggest simple controls which fit with NPPA and Reuters guidelines such as basic brightness, contrast and colour adjustment along with a shortcut for just resizing. I can see use not just for news photographers but also for those wishing to do quick proofs.

I appreciate that for some this would not be of use but then I don't need some of the other functions of PM that they may love.

Yes, Photoshop works well with PM but how much easier on deadline to be able to make selects then adjust each as viewed in PM as you go than having to send to another program, edit and go back to PM to finish off captions and transmit.

I guess I could use Lightroom but don't feel it works as required. It has never made me feel it takes my processing far enough forward to justify the additional cost over existing software. Even on Adobes own site they talk of using Lightroom in conjunction with Photoshop. I can work using PM and PS but "PM edit lite" would allow me to work faster in a large number of situations and I am guessing would be viewed with interest by agencies and media who have concerns about providing their staff with tools that do more than they need.

Just my 2c.

Offline DoubleImage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 01:01:26 PM »
Hello, The point to have the *basic* density/contrast/white-balance controls is to _quickly_ do very basic tweaking of files before saving them for a Web-based page or iWeb or whatever. The point is to lighten/ darken 12 images on the fly all at the same time. Going to PS means creating an Action, etc. Your program is so simple and direct, it's great but it's really missing that help/feature. We're learning Aperture now specifically because your program doesn't do this feature. Again, simple brighten/darken, boom, done. Otherwise Photo Mechanic is indispensable.
Thanks.