Author Topic: Selective Ingesting feature  (Read 4014 times)

Offline owen-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Selective Ingesting feature
« on: August 15, 2008, 07:00:50 AM »
Hi there,

From what I can see of the otherwise absolutely remarkable Photo Mechanic software, it's missing a feature I'd consider to be crucial - the ability to browse a memory card and only ingest particular images. For example - I don't always use Photo Mechanic to ingest images, and today I've used a card that has well over 300 images on it, many if not all of which are locked (so I can't use that as a parameter for ingesting) and only 15 or so of which I want to grab.

I realise there is other 'ingesting' software available that does this, such as Image Capture on the Mac, but I'd prefer to stick to just one application and would really appreciate it if this feature could be added at some point in the future, as at present this makes using the Ingest feature of Photo Mechanic something that only really works for me if I want to ingest a whole card, and as such requires me to think ahead before going out - sometimes I just grab a card and shoot on it, which forces me away from Photo Mechanic when it comes to ingesting those images.

Many thanks,
Owen

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Selective Ingesting feature
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
Owen,

From what I can see of the otherwise absolutely remarkable Photo Mechanic software, it's missing a feature I'd consider to be crucial - the ability to browse a memory card and only ingest particular images. For example - I don't always use Photo Mechanic to ingest images, and today I've used a card that has well over 300 images on it, many if not all of which are locked (so I can't use that as a parameter for ingesting) and only 15 or so of which I want to grab.

I realise there is other 'ingesting' software available that does this, such as Image Capture on the Mac, but I'd prefer to stick to just one application and would really appreciate it if this feature could be added at some point in the future, as at present this makes using the Ingest feature of Photo Mechanic something that only really works for me if I want to ingest a whole card, and as such requires me to think ahead before going out - sometimes I just grab a card and shoot on it, which forces me away from Photo Mechanic when it comes to ingesting those images.

That's a feature I call Ingest from Selection.  It has been on our list to implement for some time now.  I'm not sure what version it will be implemented in however.

-Kirk

Offline owen-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Selective Ingesting feature
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 08:07:57 AM »
Okay cool - looking forward to that so I can wave goodbye to Image Capture. :)