Author Topic: External Firewire drives not visible in Navigator? mac.  (Read 5363 times)

Offline mcg

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
External Firewire drives not visible in Navigator? mac.
« on: June 28, 2006, 01:01:27 PM »
Whilst my external firewire drives are visible on the desktop and in the finder they aren't showing up in the Contact Sheet's Navigator.
I thought they might reappear after a restart but they didn't. It's a fresh install of PM4.4.3 on a late model PB.
Thanks

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: External Firewire drives not visible in Navigator? mac.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 06:04:56 PM »
Whilst my external firewire drives are visible on the desktop and in the finder they aren't showing up in the Contact Sheet's Navigator.
I thought they might reappear after a restart but they didn't. It's a fresh install of PM4.4.3 on a late model PB.

Do they have unusual names?

Can you do a test for me?  Open the Terminal application (it's in Applications/Utilities).  When it opens type the following and hit return:

ls -a /Volumes

Copy the text and post the output back here.

Thanks,

-Kirk

BTW, 4.4.3.1 is now available and fixes a number of issues present in 4.4.3 so please get it.

Offline mcg

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: External Firewire drives not visible in Navigator? mac.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 02:19:22 AM »
Hi Kirk,
thanks for getting back to me -  have now updated to 4.4.3.1

It appears that I was having permission problems with one of the partitions on the drive in question. I suspect that this was causing the whole drive (all 4 partitions) not to be visible in PM Navigator.

While evaluting PM I was looking into the possibility of using one of the partions as a "drop box" (found under "Get info" "Ownership & Permissions > access") as the secondary destination when ingesting.

Whilst I didn't change the permissions of that partition I must have checked the "ignore ownership on this volume" which actualy causes some files to become hidden - not globaly accessable as one would initialy think (I plug this drive into different machines and wrongly guessed it may be the correct option for this practice)

The following thread alerted me to my error and also provided the fix.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2524416&#2524416

As a result I can now see my external drives in the Navigator window.

I'd still like to pursue the "drop box" idea (on a dedicated FW drive this time) has any one else tried it?

Michael.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 04:35:01 AM by mcg »