Author Topic: FTP Upload Window  (Read 5013 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
FTP Upload Window
« on: August 05, 2008, 12:02:33 AM »
Hi,

I was sending a large batch of images last night via FTP and suddenly realized that a bunch of them had not been correctly renamed (my fault). As they were a fair way down the list in the FTP Upload window I figured I could easily delete them from the FTP queue, then rename them correctly and add them back to the queue. Whilst I was able to do this ok, a couple of ideas occurred to me to make the process easier.

1. I found that I could only select and delete one image from the FTP queue at a time. It would be very helpful if it was possible to select multiple images, by either shift-clicking (for a contiguous batch) or command-clicking the chosen images and then delete them from the queue. Also, in order to delete a selected image from the queue one has to click on the trashcan button. It would be easier to be able to simply hit the delete key - or maybe command-delete for added safety.

2. It would be very useful to be able to click & drag images in the FTP queue to rearrange the sending order.

What do you think, Kirk?  Any chance these changes could be incorporated into PM?

Cheers,

Paul Smith

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: FTP Upload Window
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 06:36:09 AM »
Paul,

I was sending a large batch of images last night via FTP and suddenly realized that a bunch of them had not been correctly renamed (my fault). As they were a fair way down the list in the FTP Upload window I figured I could easily delete them from the FTP queue, then rename them correctly and add them back to the queue. Whilst I was able to do this ok, a couple of ideas occurred to me to make the process easier.

1. I found that I could only select and delete one image from the FTP queue at a time. It would be very helpful if it was possible to select multiple images, by either shift-clicking (for a contiguous batch) or command-clicking the chosen images and then delete them from the queue. Also, in order to delete a selected image from the queue one has to click on the trashcan button. It would be easier to be able to simply hit the delete key - or maybe command-delete for added safety.

2. It would be very useful to be able to click & drag images in the FTP queue to rearrange the sending order.

What do you think, Kirk?  Any chance these changes could be incorporated into PM?

They sound useful but I can't give you a definitive answer about whether they would be implemented or not.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: FTP Upload Window
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:17:34 AM »
It would be great to implement these ideas but at least a pause-resume option and maybe adding an option to upload the images packed into a ZIP file would be most helpful. And also a solution of either manually or automatically freeing up space taken by temporary files of the FTP upload. It can cause troubble (often for me) that I have to quit PM entirely to free up the space taken by PM to duplicate the images I want to upload.

If I try to upload JPGs of say 10GB RAW files it takes more than 20GBs to have the images and their duplicates for sending. And if my connection breaks I have to start it all over so it gets 30GB or 40GB on a next try....or I would have to quit PM then start it again, open the large contact sheet again taking much time then find my selection I want to send and send it.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com