Author Topic: NEFs and JPEGs Somehow Getting Converted to sRGB  (Read 6416 times)

Offline Captain_Vegetable

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
NEFs and JPEGs Somehow Getting Converted to sRGB
« on: August 20, 2008, 09:11:24 AM »
I'm shooting in Adobe RGB (or "Nikon Adobe RGB," if that's different).  Last night I edited a few NEF files in Capture NX 2, then saved as JPEGs when they were finished.  I checked the "embed ICC" box (I think) when saving as JPEG.  Now I'm just noticing that both the NEF files and the JPEGs show "sRGB (embedded)" as the color profile.  How did that happen?  I never (intentionally) converted from Adobe RGB to sRGB.  I had intended to keep them in Adobe RGB...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: NEFs and JPEGs Somehow Getting Converted to sRGB
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 06:48:57 PM »
I'm shooting in Adobe RGB (or "Nikon Adobe RGB," if that's different).  Last night I edited a few NEF files in Capture NX 2, then saved as JPEGs when they were finished.  I checked the "embed ICC" box (I think) when saving as JPEG.  Now I'm just noticing that both the NEF files and the JPEGs show "sRGB (embedded)" as the color profile.  How did that happen?  I never (intentionally) converted from Adobe RGB to sRGB.  I had intended to keep them in Adobe RGB...

I'm not quite clear where you did the save as JPEG...  In NX2 or PM?

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 07:01:17 PM »

-Kirk

I saved in NX2, so maybe this is a question for them, but I think it has to do with my extracting a JPEG from the NEF, which I did in PM.  (Sorry, forgot to mention I had extracted the JPEG, which seems to be relevant).  Also, looking back at my files, I was mistaken when I said the NEF got converted to sRGB; it did not.  What happened is that I extracted a JPEG from a NEF, and the JPEG was embedded with the sRGB profile, instead of Adobe RGB like the NEF from which it was extracted.  Sorry for the confusing post.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:52:56 PM »

-Kirk

I saved in NX2, so maybe this is a question for them, but I think it has to do with my extracting a JPEG from the NEF, which I did in PM.  (Sorry, forgot to mention I had extracted the JPEG, which seems to be relevant).  Also, looking back at my files, I was mistaken when I said the NEF got converted to sRGB; it did not.  What happened is that I extracted a JPEG from a NEF, and the JPEG was embedded with the sRGB profile, instead of Adobe RGB like the NEF from which it was extracted.  Sorry for the confusing post.

RAW files really don't have a color space per se.  The color space is just a hint.  Most camera sensors have a wider gamut than even Adobe RGB.

Photo Mechanic's extract JPEG preview feature will embed ICC profiles if the RAW file has an embedded profile.

Since you're using Capture NX2 why don't you save JPEGs from there?  You should have much better control over the entire process.

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 04:41:44 AM »

Since you're using Capture NX2 why don't you save JPEGs from there?  You should have much better control over the entire process.

-Kirk

Will do!  Thanks for the explanation.