Author Topic: Search utility  (Read 6890 times)

Offline brainbug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Search utility
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:25:32 AM »
Hi,

I am trying out PM on Windows and I am lacking a way of searching through my folders to find images that match metadata.

Note that I am not locking for a catalog solution but for a way of searching through the metadata embedded in the images.

At the moment I have to resort to other software for this and that is not a viable solution.

/Johannes

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Search utility
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 02:59:07 PM »
Johannes,

I am trying out PM on Windows and I am lacking a way of searching through my folders to find images that match metadata.

Note that I am not locking for a catalog solution but for a way of searching through the metadata embedded in the images.

At the moment I have to resort to other software for this and that is not a viable solution.

You can open up multiple folders as a single contact sheet, then use the Find command.

It won't be as fast as using a cataloging application but it will work.

-Kirk

Offline Ed Zirkle

• Newcomer
  • never grow up...
    • View Profile
    • Slightly sane photographer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:36:17 PM »
HI Kirk...

Speaking of cataloging...  any news?

Thanks...

Ed
Feed the Shark...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:57:40 PM »
Ed,

Speaking of cataloging...  any news?

We're still working on it.

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 07:13:01 AM »

You can open up multiple folders as a single contact sheet, then use the Find command.

-Kirk

whoa!  Cool!   I had no idea that you could open mulptiple folders into a single contact sheet.

Now that I've done that... it is possible to save the contact sheet definition somehow?    Now that I've selected all the folders I want (which was a bit of a pain), I'd like to save the contact sheet so I can reopen it later.

Ron 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 07:16:56 AM »
Ron,

whoa!  Cool!   I had no idea that you could open mulptiple folders into a single contact sheet.

Now that I've done that... it is possible to save the contact sheet definition somehow?    Now that I've selected all the folders I want (which was a bit of a pain), I'd like to save the contact sheet so I can reopen it later.

Yes, use the "Remember folders" command on the File menu.  It will create an item in your Favorites panel which you can use to reopen the set of folders again.

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
Re: Search utility / Virtual folders
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 07:34:31 AM »
very cool!   Now... for my enhancement requests  ;)
   -- allow both this new 'virtual folder' and the real physical folder both to be open at the same time in separate contact sheet tabs
   -- the virtual folder could be nice and remember my contact sheet settings (thumbnail size, sort, rating/color selects).  I don't use currently use arrangements, but I suspect that those that do would potentially want different arrangements for different virtual folders.
   -- 'remember folders' shouldn't require multiple folders if the above enhancements could be put into place. 
  -- if I go nuts in creating virtual folders, then I'll want to just be able to do a Open Virtual Folder from the file menu, and remove them from the favorites pane.

Ron

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Search utility / Virtual folders
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »
Ron,

very cool!   Now... for my enhancement requests  ;)
   -- allow both this new 'virtual folder' and the real physical folder both to be open at the same time in separate contact sheet tabs

Sorry, the same image cannot be opened in two different contact sheets at the same time.  It is a fundamental design choice in Photo Mechanic that will not change.

Quote from: ron_hiner
   -- the virtual folder could be nice and remember my contact sheet settings (thumbnail size, sort, rating/color selects).  I don't use currently use arrangements, but I suspect that those that do would potentially want different arrangements for different virtual folders.
   -- 'remember folders' shouldn't require multiple folders if the above enhancements could be put into place. 
  -- if I go nuts in creating virtual folders, then I'll want to just be able to do a Open Virtual Folder from the file menu, and remove them from the favorites pane.

They're not 'virtual folders' in any sense.  They are real folders on your hard drive that just happen to be opened at the same time in a single contact sheet.

Our cataloging solution (under development) will give you something more along the lines of a virtual folder.

-Kirk