Author Topic: Support for Sony Alpha Raw files (.ARW)  (Read 20002 times)

Offline Savage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Support for Sony Alpha Raw files (.ARW)
« on: August 24, 2008, 03:22:57 AM »
I see this question have been asked before, but a very long time ago (2006). I did not find a solution to it.

I have a Sony Alpha 100 (a100) and a Sony Alpha 700 (a700). They use a raw file format called ARW. I can see the thumbnails of these images just fine in Photo Mechanic, but I can't view the image, the "icon" for viewing doesn't show.

I have some images from a Canon camera (CR2-files), these open fine.

Is it possible you will support the Sony-files as well? I'd be happy to send you a couple of files (just provide me with an adress to send them to, or upload them to).

Hope for your positive answer.

More information:
Version of Photo Mechanic: 4.5.3
Amount of RAM: 4GB
Model and make of Camera: Sony Alpha A100 and Sony Alpha A700.
File type: RAW (or .ARW as it is called)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Support for Sony Alpha Raw files (.ARW)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 07:35:20 AM »
I see this question have been asked before, but a very long time ago (2006). I did not find a solution to it.

I have a Sony Alpha 100 (a100) and a Sony Alpha 700 (a700). They use a raw file format called ARW. I can see the thumbnails of these images just fine in Photo Mechanic, but I can't view the image, the "icon" for viewing doesn't show.

I have some images from a Canon camera (CR2-files), these open fine.

Is it possible you will support the Sony-files as well? I'd be happy to send you a couple of files (just provide me with an adress to send them to, or upload them to).

Hope for your positive answer.

More information:
Version of Photo Mechanic: 4.5.3
Amount of RAM: 4GB
Model and make of Camera: Sony Alpha A100 and Sony Alpha A700.
File type: RAW (or .ARW as it is called)

As I recall, those images don't embed a high-resolution preview.  We don't render RAW at all on the Windows platform so unless there is a way to adjust some in-camera setting to force it to generate reasonably-sized previews into the RAW file, I can't provide you with a solution.  If you want to send some files and have me look at them, then send me a personal message for the upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline Savage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 02:23:50 AM »
Hi there.

I sent two files (one from the A100 and one from the A700). Did you get a chance to look at this issue? Will you include support for these file-formats?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 06:18:18 AM »
Hi there.

I sent two files (one from the A100 and one from the A700). Did you get a chance to look at this issue? Will you include support for these file-formats?

I don't recall ever receiving a message from you telling me what the filenames were so I haven't downloaded and investigated them.

I see two .ARW files that were recently uploaded:  DSC05882.ARW and DSC01208.ARW
Are these the ones you uploaded?

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:51:48 AM »
Hi there.

I don't recall ever receiving a message from you telling me what the filenames were so I haven't downloaded and investigated them.

I see two .ARW files that were recently uploaded:  DSC05882.ARW and DSC01208.ARW
Are these the ones you uploaded?

I downloaded and browsed these files with Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2 on Windows XP SP3 and not only can I see the thumbnails, but I can see previews as well.  The A700 image previews at 1616x1080 and the A100 image previews at 640x480.

I suggest updating to Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2 and trying it out on your photos.  The sizes I wrote above are the sizes of the embedded JPEG previews and are the best we can do at this time.

-Kirk

Offline Savage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 05:10:33 AM »
Thank you.

I actually answered on the 26th of august on my personal message. I just answered using gmail to Kirk Baker on the admin address of the forum. I'll try using 4.5.3.2.

Offline Savage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 05:31:22 AM »
Yes it works! I'm guessing I'm not actually seeing the raw files only the jpeg preview then. For editing I will use the Lightroom or Photoshop then.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 06:14:45 AM »
Yes it works! I'm guessing I'm not actually seeing the raw files only the jpeg preview then.

Right.  Photo Mechanic on Windows has no capability to render RAW files.  The best we can do there is to display the previews within the RAW files, and PM 4.5.3.2 does support ARW files in this manner.

-Kirk