Author Topic: Saving structured keywords in IPTC data  (Read 2932 times)

Offline TigerEyes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Saving structured keywords in IPTC data
« on: August 24, 2008, 12:19:03 AM »
I am looking at photo mechanic principally because of its structured keyword facility.  Some simple questions

are structured keywords saved as imbedded data within a JPEG?
    if so when and how does this happen?

I can't make it happen.  Here is what I have done -- On an image I do the following

click the "i" button,
click the Keywords down arrow,
select Structured Keywords
select animal->pets->cat->kitten
terminate PhotoMechanic
restart PhotoMechanic
click the "i" button on the same image
I see the keyword hierarchy I selected - animal, pets, cat, kitten

However when I look at the image with another tool - e.g. IrfanView or Phil Harvey's ExifTool the keyword field in the IPTC data is as empty now as it was before

I have attached a zip with images of what I think are the relevant screen shots - the names are self explanatory

TIA

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Saving structured keywords in IPTC data
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 07:32:31 AM »
I am looking at photo mechanic principally because of its structured keyword facility.  Some simple questions

are structured keywords saved as imbedded data within a JPEG?
    if so when and how does this happen?

I can't make it happen.  Here is what I have done -- On an image I do the following

click the "i" button,
click the Keywords down arrow,
select Structured Keywords
select animal->pets->cat->kitten
terminate PhotoMechanic
restart PhotoMechanic
click the "i" button on the same image
I see the keyword hierarchy I selected - animal, pets, cat, kitten

However when I look at the image with another tool - e.g. IrfanView or Phil Harvey's ExifTool the keyword field in the IPTC data is as empty now as it was before

I have attached a zip with images of what I think are the relevant screen shots - the names are self explanatory

Keywords are saved in the IPTC (and/or XMP when active).  Are you sure you're viewing the exact same file in both applications?

Can you send me the file you've captioned?

-Kirk

Offline TigerEyes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 06:30:01 PM »
Of course I'm not looking at the same file  :-[

I didn't realise that Ingest folder copied the images to another folder, if I was ingesting from a camera then I would of course want to create a folder.  Nor did it t occur to me that I could just navigate to the directory in which the images currently reside and operate on them in place.  I assumed that I had to "ingest" the images into a database of some sort as one does in many other products of this ilk.

Thanks for your help -  looks like PM is exactly what I want.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 07:15:22 PM »
Of course I'm not looking at the same file  :-[

I didn't realise that Ingest folder copied the images to another folder, if I was ingesting from a camera then I would of course want to create a folder.  Nor did it t occur to me that I could just navigate to the directory in which the images currently reside and operate on them in place.  I assumed that I had to "ingest" the images into a database of some sort as one does in many other products of this ilk.

Thanks for your help -  looks like PM is exactly what I want.

Great.  If you already have images on your hard drive(s), you don't have to Ingest them, just open a Contact Sheet tab at the location you're interested in.

-Kirk