Author Topic: Renaming failure  (Read 5586 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
Renaming failure
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:16:17 AM »
Kirk,
I am having an issue renaming a folder of files. At first I thought that it might be an OS thing but having returned to the office I just moved the files form the laptop and am having the same thing here.

I have a folder of images shot with a D3(Nikon) Images were ingested by PM and are jpg+NEF. They open and look fine. No corruption in the files themselves. I moved the fist offending file and tried the rename again but had the program report the error again on a different file.

The error just reads "An error occurred while renaming photo 8-25-2008-0498.jpg. The operation will be canceled and the original names will be restored"

I also ended up with a 1/2 folder of files named _###_TMP_numbers_

System one was a laptop running Vista 2gb Dual core. System two is XP Pro on a Pentium 4 with 3b.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Renaming failure
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 06:07:49 AM »
Eric,

I am having an issue renaming a folder of files. At first I thought that it might be an OS thing but having returned to the office I just moved the files form the laptop and am having the same thing here.

I have a folder of images shot with a D3(Nikon) Images were ingested by PM and are jpg+NEF. They open and look fine. No corruption in the files themselves. I moved the fist offending file and tried the rename again but had the program report the error again on a different file.

The error just reads "An error occurred while renaming photo 8-25-2008-0498.jpg. The operation will be canceled and the original names will be restored"

I also ended up with a 1/2 folder of files named _###_TMP_numbers_

System one was a laptop running Vista 2gb Dual core. System two is XP Pro on a Pentium 4 with 3b.

What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?
What is your renaming string?
Are any of the files locked (read-only)?

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 06:24:24 AM »

I checked the attributes of the files none are locked.

It is only happening in this ONE folder.

{datesort}CAN-Niagara-{seqn}

Now that I'm back I re-ingested the cards and can rename those files, but the original folder still won't fly.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 07:29:11 AM »

I checked the attributes of the files none are locked.

It is only happening in this ONE folder.

{datesort}CAN-Niagara-{seqn}

Now that I'm back I re-ingested the cards and can rename those files, but the original folder still won't fly.

Please definitely get version 4.5.3.2 (even though it doesn't have any changes that directly affect this issue.)

What is the name of the folder?  Is the path leading up to that folder different in some way from the folder that now works for you?
What are the permissions for the problem folder?

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 06:15:24 AM »
4.5.3.1  Installed on my laptop no difference.

Folder i:\20080825\Niagara_US views\

Folder is not locked or marked read only. I've never had this problem before and it has not repeated again. The problem did not occur at subsequent events. So I guess it was just a fluke. It was weird that it happened to only the one folder and that the problem persisted from one machine to the other.

I back to a full shooting schedule this week so we'll see if it happens again real soon.