Author Topic: Simpleviewer - Blurry Thumbs  (Read 6650 times)

Offline johnrichphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Simpleviewer - Blurry Thumbs
« on: May 17, 2007, 08:38:41 AM »
When exporting to the Simpleviewer browser, some of the thumbnails appear blurry.  When I open the 'Thumbs' folder - they are all sharp.  I've re-tried the export process, but the results are the same.  This happens with both 4.5 & 4.5.1, which I jus dowloaded today. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Simpleviewer - Blurry Thumbs
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:49:30 AM »
When exporting to the Simpleviewer browser, some of the thumbnails appear blurry.  When I open the 'Thumbs' folder - they are all sharp.  I've re-tried the export process, but the results are the same.  This happens with both 4.5 & 4.5.1, which I jus dowloaded today. 

SimpleViewer has a really bad scaling algorithm for its thumbnails.  What are the pixel dimensions of the fuzzy thumbnails?  You can open up the thumbnails in your export folder as a contact sheet and by turning on the tooltips and adding the {w} and {h} variables to the Info Text, you can see the pixel size of the thumbnails.

They should all be square, 65 by 65 pixels.  If they're not that exact size, then they will be fuzzy.

So please post the sizes of the thumbnails.

-Kirk

Offline johnrichphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 01:42:08 PM »
Thumbs from horizontal images are 98pixels wide x 65p height.  From vertical images the thumb size is 43p wide x 65p height.

Offline johnrichphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 01:47:19 PM »
It's the thumbnails from vertical originals that are fuzzy.  The horizontals are all sharp!

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 04:04:27 PM »
I use SimpleViewer on my site (www.samfrostphotos.com) and find the most satisfactory way to make the thumbnails is to do it manually.  I let PM generate the gallery, and then copy the main images into the thumbnail folder, replacing the existing thumbnails.  I then open them all into Photoshop and with a 65x65 pixel crop box, I manually crop all the images, trying to find an interesting detail to have in the thumbnail.  I then close them and save the changes, so I have 65x65 thumbnails showing exactly what I want them to, rather than an area from the middle of the picture that may or may not contain an interesting detail.

Edit:  new website no longer uses Simpleviewer.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:54:50 PM by SamFrost »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 12:26:18 AM »
It's the thumbnails from vertical originals that are fuzzy.  The horizontals are all sharp!

We made some changes to improve the chances that SimpleViewer won't scale the thumbnails in the new 4.5.1.1 version.

-Kirk

Offline johnrichphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 10:18:49 AM »
Kirk-
That's great.  Thanks.  -John

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 01:16:10 PM »
Hmmm... I've never had this problem before...  but I got it today.  But I'm not sure ever done an entire shoot of verticals before.
http://galleries.ronhiner.com/temp/khshds_100112/index.html
Using PM 4.2.6.1 on a Mac
All the generated thumbs are 49x65 and look ok on a PM Contact Sheet -- they just look crummy in Simpleviewer.
Not a killer problem, but I thought I take a look here for a solution.
Ron