Author Topic: PM freezes  (Read 3768 times)

Offline RonaldFrommann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM freezes
« on: September 09, 2008, 03:23:40 PM »
Hi all

I am just exploring the Demo of PM to decide wether to stay with Fotostation or change to PM. Unfortunately PM freezes after one day of testing, when i ask for a preview no matter in which way. The contact sheet freezes and the only way to get out is to press the command "close window". Then I am able to work in the contact sheet mode. What is wrong. PM is version 4.5.3.2 , Power Mac G5(PPC) is 2x2Ghz with 10.4.11 Ram is 4.5 Gb. After reading some threats in this forum, I already deleted the preference with no result. Any ideas?
It's a pity, for I just startet to like the program.
Best wishes
 Ronald  Hamburg/Germany

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM freezes
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 04:20:47 PM »
Ronald,

I am just exploring the Demo of PM to decide wether to stay with Fotostation or change to PM. Unfortunately PM freezes after one day of testing, when i ask for a preview no matter in which way. The contact sheet freezes and the only way to get out is to press the command "close window". Then I am able to work in the contact sheet mode. What is wrong. PM is version 4.5.3.2 , Power Mac G5(PPC) is 2x2Ghz with 10.4.11 Ram is 4.5 Gb. After reading some threats in this forum, I already deleted the preference with no result. Any ideas?

The Preview window is modal and blocks access to all other windows besides the Preview window.  You do indeed have to close the Preview window before working with the Contact Sheet window again.

I take it you're trying to use PM in a multi-monitor setup and are putting the Preview window on its own screen and keeping the Contact Sheet on the main screen and thus you want to work with both simultaneously?  This just can't be done in the current design.  We have plans to remove this restriction but I don't have a scheduled date for its completion at this time.

-Kirk

Offline RonaldFrommann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:17:55 PM »
Kirk,
thanks for that quick reply.
My problem is that I press the button to open the preview, but no preview appears. Also the rest is blocked as you mentioned. But no preview. I hope the problem is clear now. Thanks for additional advices.
Ronald Frommann Hamburg

Offline RonaldFrommann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 02:26:45 AM »
Because I couldn't get the problem solved, I deleted PM and installed a new one. Problem solved, but does it come back?
One more question: I work with two 19"monitors and like to spread the PM window over the two, so that the left part with the hierarchy tree is on the left monitor and the space for pictures on the right monitor is bigger. PM seams not to be able to remember the window size and place, I always have to renew that. Do I miss something?
Ronald

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 05:29:03 AM »
Ronald,

Because I couldn't get the problem solved, I deleted PM and installed a new one. Problem solved, but does it come back?
One more question: I work with two 19"monitors and like to spread the PM window over the two, so that the left part with the hierarchy tree is on the left monitor and the space for pictures on the right monitor is bigger. PM seams not to be able to remember the window size and place, I always have to renew that. Do I miss something?

PM does remember window position and size as long as the window doesn't bridge between two screens.

-Kirk

Offline RonaldFrommann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 11:46:56 AM »
Kirk,

thats exactly the problem: when I need more space than one monitor has, I have to bridge between two monitors
Any further comments to my question with this disappearing preview window??
Ronald

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »
Ronald,

thats exactly the problem: when I need more space than one monitor has, I have to bridge between two monitors
Any further comments to my question with this disappearing preview window??

If you can tell me how to reproduce the problem, and if I can reproduce it locally then I should be able to fix it.

-Kirk

Offline RonaldFrommann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »
Kirk
I suppose, playing around with all the buttons and knobs might have caused the problem, when it appears again, I send you my computer for further investigation...
Ronald