Author Topic: Lost file info when TIFF is converted to JPEG  (Read 4479 times)

Offline pixmaniax

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Lost file info when TIFF is converted to JPEG
« on: June 29, 2006, 07:13:53 AM »
I have problem that when I convert the TIFF file (which was captioned by PM) into JPEG using Canon's Digital Photo Professional software, all info are retained except in the “Origin” field of Photoshop's File Info where the “Date Created,” “City,” “Credit,” “Headline,” etc. are displayed. These are fillable through PM, but something happens along the way when the TIFF is converted to JPEG all info earlier filled in the “Origin” fields turn up blank in Photoshop. But they're all filled out when the TIFF's File Info is viewed through Photoshop. I haven’t figured out yet what’s wrong, whether it’s an inherent glitch in either or both softwares or whether I’m doing something wrong. Excepting the TIFF-to-JPG caption glitch, the PM works just fine and I value its efficiency.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Lost file info when TIFF is converted to JPEG
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:55:30 AM »
I have problem that when I convert the TIFF file (which was captioned by PM) into JPEG using Canon's Digital Photo Professional software, all info are retained except in the “Origin” field of Photoshop's File Info where the “Date Created,” “City,” “Credit,” “Headline,” etc. are displayed. These are fillable through PM, but something happens along the way when the TIFF is converted to JPEG all info earlier filled in the “Origin” fields turn up blank in Photoshop. But they're all filled out when the TIFF's File Info is viewed through Photoshop. I haven’t figured out yet what’s wrong, whether it’s an inherent glitch in either or both softwares or whether I’m doing something wrong. Excepting the TIFF-to-JPG caption glitch, the PM works just fine and I value its efficiency.

The problem as you describe it is Canon's fault.   Photo Mechanic properly captioned your TIFF file and when DPP converts it to a JPEG it is losing some of the caption data.  Why not convert your TIFF files to JPEGs via Photo Mechanic's Save As command?

That should solve your problems.

-Kirk