Author Topic: Selecting portrait/landscape oriented photos?  (Read 13401 times)

Offline klam

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Selecting portrait/landscape oriented photos?
« on: September 10, 2008, 01:44:19 PM »
Is there a way to select portrait or landscape oriented photos?  Right now if I use Select > Select Rotated that works at identifying photos with portrait orientation only if they are Raw files.  Once I have converted them from the raw files Photo Mechanic is unable to identify if a photo is portrait or landscape as a JPEG.

This is an important feature I have been using in iView Media Pro, which I have not found in Photo Mechanic.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Selecting portrait/landscape oriented photos?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 02:23:27 PM »
Is there a way to select portrait or landscape oriented photos?  Right now if I use Select > Select Rotated that works at identifying photos with portrait orientation only if they are Raw files.  Once I have converted them from the raw files Photo Mechanic is unable to identify if a photo is portrait or landscape as a JPEG.

This is an important feature I have been using in iView Media Pro, which I have not found in Photo Mechanic.

You could create a Custom Sort using the {height} variable as the Primary sort value.  Then when you sort by height all of your tallest images will be grouped together.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline klam

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:21:07 PM »
Thanks Kirk, I overlooked the sort functionality.  That will work for me 99% of the time.  There is that odd occasion where a portrait orientated image can still be shorter in height than a landscape oriented image (due to cropping and/or using a mix of low or high megapixel cameras for instance).  For those rare occasions I will manually deselect them from the groupings I guess.  I was wondering if there would be a function that actually compares height <> width to determine if it is in fact portrait or landscape.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 02:33:45 PM »
Thanks Kirk, I overlooked the sort functionality.  That will work for me 99% of the time.  There is that odd occasion where a portrait orientated image can still be shorter in height than a landscape oriented image (due to cropping and/or using a mix of low or high megapixel cameras for instance).  For those rare occasions I will manually deselect them from the groupings I guess.  I was wondering if there would be a function that actually compares height <> width to determine if it is in fact portrait or landscape.

There currently is no function that compares height to width.  But we could add a variable like {istallerthanwide} or {iswiderthantall), or just {isportrait} or {islandscape} fairly easily.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 10:09:46 AM »

Some other variables you could sort on would be:

{aspect}
Aspect ratio of photo

and
{aspectcrop}
Aspect ratio of cropped photo

Try those and see if they work well for your needs.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 06:34:25 PM »
Kirk,

Aspect doesn't help.  Height or width is ok if all the images are the same dimensions.  An isportrait and islandscape would be a useful addition.

Deven

Offline mistadas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 11:48:57 PM »
Found this by google search great news
just sorted a folder of portrait and landscapes photos
every one else said LR
happy PM has it
just entered a custom sort by {aspect}
thank you

Russell

Offline mistadas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 11:55:32 PM »
whoops that sort is not perfect due to different cameras and crops
sort by orientation or aspect is in LR , Bridge and a few strange softwares.
Sort by height and width is it I guess.
thanks Russell

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 03:55:12 AM »
Kirk,

Aspect doesn't help.  Height or width is ok if all the images are the same dimensions.  An isportrait and islandscape would be a useful addition.

Deven, what doesn't work for you when using aspect? Works fine for me.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 07:08:01 PM »
Hi,
It works fine for me too. I find it helpful to sort the pictures according to ratio.
In my case the most used are the verticals 0.67 (2/3), 0.80 (4/5) and the horizontals 1.25 (5/4) and 1.5 (3/2).
Regards,

- Luiz Muzzi