Author Topic: Continual problem with IPTC subject field  (Read 2987 times)

Offline smashphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Continual problem with IPTC subject field
« on: September 12, 2008, 02:08:12 PM »
Windows Vista
PM 4.5.3.2

Okay, I have made my subject list and saved it in Notepad with the utf-8 file type and I've brought it into PM. The list(s) show up just fine.

But when I enter the coded text into the caption area (ex: /mkj32/), it never changes in the caption box.

I've included one of the list here. Please check it over and let me know what else to do.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Continual problem with IPTC subject field
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:54:37 PM »
Windows Vista
PM 4.5.3.2

Okay, I have made my subject list and saved it in Notepad with the utf-8 file type and I've brought it into PM. The list(s) show up just fine.

But when I enter the coded text into the caption area (ex: /mkj32/), it never changes in the caption box.

I've included one of the list here. Please check it over and let me know what else to do.

It looks like you're trying to use Code Replacement.  Are you loading your text file into the Code Replacement dialog?

-Kirk

Offline smashphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
Yes,
I'm setting them under the "Edit" menu, "Set Code Replacements", delimiter is default.
Under the "IPTC Stationary Pad", I'm checking the "IPTC Subject Code" box, clicking on the drop down menu, clicking on the code I want, then in the caption box, I'm entering the code (ex: /mkj64/) plus some text describing the action.
When I finish entering the text box (under Caption). everything is just as I entered it, there is no name substitution. When I click open the info tab again, the Caption box is still the same, with the code there, not a substituted name.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 05:58:58 PM »
Yes,
I'm setting them under the "Edit" menu, "Set Code Replacements", delimiter is default.
Under the "IPTC Stationary Pad", I'm checking the "IPTC Subject Code" box, clicking on the drop down menu, clicking on the code I want, then in the caption box, I'm entering the code (ex: /mkj64/) plus some text describing the action.
When I finish entering the text box (under Caption). everything is just as I entered it, there is no name substitution. When I click open the info tab again, the Caption box is still the same, with the code there, not a substituted name.

What delimiter are you using in the Code Replacement dialog?  The backslash ( '\' ) is the default and I see that you're using a forward slash ( '/' ) which could explain why Code Replacement isn't working for you.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline smashphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
Wow... you're good...REEEEALLY good!

I suspect my dyslexia snapped in! I don't know how many times I checked that and it just looked correct!

All is good now, thank you!