Author Topic: Trouble displaying captions in Fotoweb - rotation is the reason  (Read 2915 times)

Offline Mika

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Trouble displaying captions in Fotoweb - rotation is the reason
« on: September 14, 2008, 12:21:49 PM »
Hi,

I am experiencing a really strange problem. I do all the captioning in Photo Mechanic and upload the photos to our image bank. All the captions in portrait photos are visible (I have applied the "hard-rotation" to the JPEGs) but landscape photos won't show the caption UNLESS I do the hard-rotation to them (turning them to portrait position and back to landscape).

I am using Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2 in OS X 10.5.4. The captions do work when applied with Fotostation and they also are in the file when you download them from our image bank. The system just cannot read them without hard-rotation. Is there anything I can do to fix the problem except hard-rotating every photo?

One addition: I have a batch in Photoshop with crop function and it's based on landscape photos. When I edit the photos, the portrait ones are in landscape orientation. If I edit a portrait photo "manually" and save it as a portrait orientation, no captions are displayed either.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 01:00:55 PM by Mika »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Trouble displaying captions in Fotoweb - rotation is the reason
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:13:06 AM »
Mika,

I am experiencing a really strange problem. I do all the captioning in Photo Mechanic and upload the photos to our image bank. All the captions in portrait photos are visible (I have applied the "hard-rotation" to the JPEGs) but landscape photos won't show the caption UNLESS I do the hard-rotation to them (turning them to portrait position and back to landscape).

I am using Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2 in OS X 10.5.4. The captions do work when applied with Fotostation and they also are in the file when you download them from our image bank. The system just cannot read them without hard-rotation. Is there anything I can do to fix the problem except hard-rotating every photo?

One addition: I have a batch in Photoshop with crop function and it's based on landscape photos. When I edit the photos, the portrait ones are in landscape orientation. If I edit a portrait photo "manually" and save it as a portrait orientation, no captions are displayed either.

I have no idea what would cause non-hard rotated photos to not show a caption in your 'image bank'.  A couple of sample images would be useful for our investigation into the issue.  Please contact me by clicking on my name to the left of this message and then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with server upload instructions.

-Kirk