Author Topic: Problem - Mail embeds rather than attaches pics?  (Read 19189 times)

Offline bstevent

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Problem - Mail embeds rather than attaches pics?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 02:57:54 PM »
I ran into this problem last spring when I began to use Photo Mechanic to prepare emails. I send lots of photos as attachments in Apple Mail and some Windows users (not all) complained that they received the photos embedded into the email and not as separate attachments. The files either were not accessible at all or were renamed and downsized once accessed.

After some experimenting with settings, I determined that doing ALL of the following allowed these recipients to receive the photos as attachments:

1. Make sure to check "Review email in email application before sending" in the "Send Photos via email" box that opens when you ask Photo Mechanic to email a photo. That way you can make the change in point 2.

2. Once the message opens in Apple Mail, go to the Format menu and select "Make Plain Text". For some reason, Photo Mechanic creates an email that is in Rich Text. This setting toggles between Rich Text and Plain Text.
- Format > Make Plain Text

3. Use filename extensions, such as .jpg, .nef, etc., in the names of your files.
Finder > Preferences > Advanced > Show all filename extensions

4. Also make sure Apple Mail has the following options set:
- Edit > Attachments > Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments
- Edit > Attachments > Always Insert Attachments at End of Message
(You won't see “Always” if you have a new message open. Choosing these settings will only apply to the new message you are composing. Close all messages before selecting this option if you want it to apply to all messages).
(Mail help also says: If you send a file (for example, “MyFile”) to someone who uses a Windows computer, the recipient might see two files: “MyFile” and “._MyFile.” The recipient can ignore the file named “._MyFile.”)

5. Camera Bits technical support sent me a link with another solution that suggests you right click on the images and select view as icon. I haven't had to do this.
http://www.isaackeyet.com/2008/mac-os-x-mail-problem-attached-images-show-up-embedded-in-outlook-other-clients/

I've found lots of finger pointing comments -- the problem is how Microsoft does things, the problem is how Apple does things, etc. The above allow me to get my attachments to my friends with Windows computers and that's all I really care about! Right now I'm using OSX 10.6.8. I don't know if this fix applies in Lion.

I hope this helps.

Bob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 03:38:17 PM »
What we're going to have to do is offer an option to make the photos be contained in a Zip archive.  Then everyone should be able to save the zip file, uncompress it and get access to the images.

I'll try to get this into the next major version of PM.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 02:56:57 AM »
What we're going to have to do is offer an option to make the photos be contained in a Zip archive.  Then everyone should be able to save the zip file, uncompress it and get access to the images.

I'll try to get this into the next major version of PM.

-Kirk

That would be great, as I don't see either Apple or Microsoft fixing these up soon...

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »
My experience with this is that if the recipient is using Outlook Express you must either:

ZIP the photo (it will not appear as an image but will be fully downloadable).

or

Send mail as plain text NOT rich text (under format menu in mail) and have the image be the last item in the message.

I know these are crappy workarounds but we dont want to stop using Mail.

Marc
Marc

Offline bstevent

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 09:11:42 AM »
Marc has said in a few words what I said in many  ;)

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 08:16:05 AM »
Just reconfirming your excellent description!
Respect
Marc
Marc

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 07:17:29 AM »
Hi, Kirk
I know it is kind of a difficult question, but would you recommend personally one mail client that works the best with PM (among those you mentioned)?
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 07:23:50 AM »
Luiz,

I know it is kind of a difficult question, but would you recommend personally one mail client that works the best with PM (among those you mentioned)?

I only use Apple Mail.  It works fine for me.

I can't speak about the others since I don't use them.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 07:37:23 AM »
Kirk,
Thanks for your quick reply.
regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline patrickhamilton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Problem Solved - Mail embeds rather than attaches pics?
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »
Folks,

This works a treat ....... Has saved the frustration with dealing with tight newspaper picture desks .......Attachment Tamer.
..... Her's the link

http://lokiware.info/Attachment-Tamer

MAJOR LIFE SAVER

Sláinte

Patrick 

Patrick Hamilton Photography Pty Ltd
shoephone +61(0)419 683 900   I  skype:patrickghamilton
patrick@patrickhamilton.com.au  I  www.patrickhamilton.com.au 

“In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.” - Tao Te Ching

Patrick Hamilton I Photographer I shoephone +61(0)419 683 900 I skype patrickghamilton I www.patrickhamilton.com.au I patrick@patrickhamilton.com.au