Author Topic: Another question about PM Licence  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Gothmeister

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Another question about PM Licence
« on: September 20, 2008, 02:29:59 AM »
Hi

Sorry if I'm being thick, but...I'm not entirely clear about what I need to buy.

The basic ESD PM Licence is US$150.00, but then there's the Update licence.

What do I get for my US$150?  Do I get the licence plus the first year's updates and then, after 12 months, need to buy another 12 months updates?  Or do I just get the product in its current form and, if I want to receive any updates I then need to pay the extra US$90, so that the total cost year one is US$240????

Rgds

SimonKE
Gothmeister Imaging

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Another question about PM Licence
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 06:35:28 AM »
SimonKE,

Sorry if I'm being thick, but...I'm not entirely clear about what I need to buy.

The basic ESD PM Licence is US$150.00, but then there's the Update licence.

What do I get for my US$150?  Do I get the licence plus the first year's updates and then, after 12 months, need to buy another 12 months updates?  Or do I just get the product in its current form and, if I want to receive any updates I then need to pay the extra US$90, so that the total cost year one is US$240????

For US$150 you get a single user license to use Photo Mechanic along with access to any updates that come out within one year of your purchase.  You do not have to pay us an Update License fee unless you want access to updates whose 'birthday' are newer than the end of your updates period.  You can continue to use your most recent copy of Photo Mechanic for as long as you like.  It will not stop working because of the simple passage of time.  Future OS upgrades or introduction of new hardware may stop Photo Mechanic from working with your system but these events are beyond our control.

To explain this 'birthday' concept, each full version of Photo Mechanic comes out on a specific date and each minor revision to that full version has the same 'birthday' as the full version.  This makes it possible for a user to get a specific version and be guaranteed to get any bug-fix or minor feature releases of that full version of Photo Mechanic even if the release date exceeds their updates period.

Now if a new full version comes out whose 'birthday' exceeds the last date of your updates period and you really want that version then you would have to pay for an Update License.  Otherwise you could keep using your current version for as long as you like.

So no matter what comes out within a year of your purchase, you're covered for access to any Photo Mechanic version for the initial cost of US$150.

I hope this makes things clear.  Please ask questions if you need further clarification.

-Kirk