Author Topic: Since Leopard upgrade Express Card reader not working on 4.4.3.3  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Since Leopard upgrade Express Card reader not working on 4.4.3.3
« on: September 23, 2008, 03:41:21 PM »
MacBook Pro runnining 10.5.5. Since upgrading to Leopard my Express Card reader will not ingest on version 4.4.3.3. Any reason?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Since Leopard upgrade Express Card reader not working on 4.4.3.3
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 03:47:47 PM »
MacBook Pro runnining 10.5.5. Since upgrading to Leopard my Express Card reader will not ingest on version 4.4.3.3. Any reason?

Can you copy files off the card with the Finder?

Leopard introduced many issues that caused earlier versions of Photo Mechanic to have problems.  The latest version 4.5.3.2 (and the upcoming 4.5.4 version) address most of these issues.  I suggest downloading a trial version of Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2 and if it solves your problems then you'll need to upgrade.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 02:54:18 PM »

My experience is that this is a platform/driver issue.

I gave up trying to use an  UDMA PCIe expresscard (Synchrotec) with Leopard.
It was fast, really fast, but would randomly crash, too often to be useful, usually in PM.
The firm said that the drivers were shaky and they hoped more people would complain so that new ones would be written.

I now use the SanDisk 800 and attach an eSATA drive through the ExpressCard Slot.
This seems to give us the quickest possible ingests to two drives.

Marc

If speed is your goal make sure your hardware is designed to use the pcie bus and not the usb bus that go into the expresscard.
Marc

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 05:51:14 AM »
I thought the upgrade would sort the issue. Looks like I'll have to go that route.

Yes I can copy from the card using the Express Card - that's what I've been doing.

Thanks for the info guys.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 06:13:44 AM »
I thought the upgrade would sort the issue. Looks like I'll have to go that route.

Yes I can copy from the card using the Express Card - that's what I've been doing.

Thanks for the info guys.

Before you pay for the upgrade, download a trial version of 4.5.3.2 and make sure it works for you.  If not, let me know and I'll get you a logging version of PM 4.5.4 (soon to be released) and we'll see what we can do to address the issue for you.

-Kirk