Author Topic: PM preview mode quality  (Read 4155 times)

Offline twone

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM preview mode quality
« on: September 29, 2008, 04:47:50 PM »

Hi,

when I open a .NEF image in PM in preview, the image quality is really bad. The pixels are huge and they create bands of colors. The graduation of tones and colors aren't at all smooth... the more you zoom, the worst it gets.
I have already done the edit; preferences; contact sheet; generate high quality thumbnails step, but the image quality is still bad.
Is it done on purpose so PM works faster? Is there anyway to get better image quality? smoother graduation of colors,..?

Thank you

Jonathan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM preview mode quality
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 06:01:27 PM »
Jonathan,

when I open a .NEF image in PM in preview, the image quality is really bad. The pixels are huge and they create bands of colors. The graduation of tones and colors aren't at all smooth... the more you zoom, the worst it gets.
I have already done the edit; preferences; contact sheet; generate high quality thumbnails step, but the image quality is still bad.
Is it done on purpose so PM works faster? Is there anyway to get better image quality? smoother graduation of colors,..?

What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?
What OS are you running?
What Nikon camera are you using?

In general, Photo Mechanic does not render RAW files and instead uses the JPEG previews contained in the RAW file.  If the preview is low resolution then the results you experienced are expected.

-Kirk

Offline twone

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 04:59:19 AM »

Hi,

Thank you for the response.
I'm using windows vista, last version of PM, and nikon D700.
So if I want better quality, at cost of slowing down PM, I will have to increase the resolution of the JPEG preview contained in the RAW file.
Is it possible to do it? How do you do it?

Thank you

Jonathan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 06:24:51 AM »
Jonathan,

I'm using windows vista, last version of PM, and nikon D700.
So if I want better quality, at cost of slowing down PM, I will have to increase the resolution of the JPEG preview contained in the RAW file.
Is it possible to do it? How do you do it?

While I haven't seen samples of the D700's output first hand, it should be putting in full resolution previews into its NEF files by default.  I think just about every Nikon camera since the D200 has done this.  I'd like to get some samples from you if you're willing to share.  That way I can make certain that we're finding the preview properly.  Please contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message and then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 08:53:06 AM »
the NEF out from my D700 are displayed in PM perfect as the ones from the D300 before.

(also latest version of PM, vista64)
using the latest version of PM on win10