Author Topic: "RW2" Format  (Read 23114 times)

Offline dd-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
"RW2" Format
« on: September 29, 2008, 09:03:48 PM »
As used in the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3.  The jpegs are looking good; I'll see if Adobe converter will make DNG or if Bibble will take them, or something.  But right now I can't sort them very conveniently since Photo Mechanic doesn't yet recognize it. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "RW2" Format
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 06:17:10 AM »
As used in the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3.  The jpegs are looking good; I'll see if Adobe converter will make DNG or if Bibble will take them, or something.  But right now I can't sort them very conveniently since Photo Mechanic doesn't yet recognize it.

EDIT: I found some sample files on the web.  I have added support for the RW2 file format in Photo Mechanic 4.6

-Kirk
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 03:08:09 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline hermitap

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 10:28:59 PM »

EDIT: I found some sample files on the web.  I have added support for the RW2 file format in Photo Mechanic 4.6

-Kirk

Hi

When release PM 4.6? Hw long wait?   thx.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 06:18:01 AM »

-Kirk

Hi

When release PM 4.6? Hw long wait?   thx.

I don't have a firm release date for you.  But it is our top priority.

-Kirk

Offline Robert Catto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 11:15:49 PM »
Hi Kirk - just trying 4.6 Beta 2 (Mac OS, 10.5.6) - I'd been hoping that support for Panasonic RW2 files meant there'd also be support for the (virtually identical) Leica DLux 4 .RWL files.  Can send you samples if it would help, it's essentially the same camera as the LX3 mentioned here so hopefully the files should be the same apart from the naming convention.

Thanks,
R!

Offline Robert Catto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:18:03 PM »
Addendum - if I rename the files .RW2, the Beta deals with them perfectly, but of course I'd rather not have to do that if I can avoid it!

Thanks,
R

Offline Robert Catto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
RWL Format (same as RW2 format, but Leica branded cameras)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 06:31:05 PM »
Hi again, one more thing I've found is of course just that because Photo Mechanic doesn't recognise .RWL files as RAW files, the importer doesn't rename them when copying from memory cards - so while I'm shooting RAW + .jpg, the .jpgs get renamed properly but the RAW files don't, and naturally they're not then recognised as the same file.

Sorry to go on about this - it's just that I use PM for all my importing & sorting with my other cameras (1DMkII & MkIII, Epson R-D1s) and it's so quick & easy, it'd be a shame to have to invent another means of working with files from this particular camera.  Any chance you can just tweak the 4.6 beta to identify .RWL files as the same as .RW2?  Happy to send samples of course for testing purposes.

All the best,
R

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: RWL Format (same as RW2 format, but Leica branded cameras)
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 07:28:20 PM »
Hi again, one more thing I've found is of course just that because Photo Mechanic doesn't recognise .RWL files as RAW files, the importer doesn't rename them when copying from memory cards - so while I'm shooting RAW + .jpg, the .jpgs get renamed properly but the RAW files don't, and naturally they're not then recognised as the same file.

Sorry to go on about this - it's just that I use PM for all my importing & sorting with my other cameras (1DMkII & MkIII, Epson R-D1s) and it's so quick & easy, it'd be a shame to have to invent another means of working with files from this particular camera.  Any chance you can just tweak the 4.6 beta to identify .RWL files as the same as .RW2?  Happy to send samples of course for testing purposes.

Try the very latest beta (updated just a few minutes ago) it adds support for .RWL files.

Let us know if you experience any problems.

-Kirk

Offline Robert Catto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 07:54:13 PM »
Sweeeeet.  And once I renamed them, it even reunited the matching .jpgs and .rwl files!  Thanks, Kirk - great work.
R!

Offline Robert Catto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 06:31:25 PM »
Hi again, Kirk - just a related question, since installing the release version of 6.2 it seems that the files from my Epson R-D1s don't work as well as they did; where before (I think) they'd load up the thumbnail previews right away for a whole directory, I now get rows of 'unable to render image' boxes.

The curious thing is, if I double click to enlarge one of them, it then renders that whole row of thumbnails (though not the enlarged version, as there's only a small thumbnail in Epson .ERF files I gather) but leaves the rest of the directory blank.  So I have to go through the entire directory line by line to view them.

I've very recently switched from PC to Mac as well, though - is it just a Mac issue when dealing with .erf files?  You mentioned that as a problem in a post in 2006, but I thought they'd since started supporting the camera in the OS.  Any other suggestions?  I'm trying the 'Render RAW for preview when possible' option but it doesn't seem to be solving it at the moment, though it does mean I can have full-size previews of them with only a slight delay, so that's a good discovery anyway!

Thanks,
R!

Offline Robert Catto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 06:40:43 PM »
Sorry, scratch that - should have checked for a new beta first!  4.6.1 seems to have solved the problem...thanks!
R

Offline Robert Catto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 05:48:53 PM »
Actually, and I hate to contradict myself again, 4.6.1 doesn't seem to have fixed the problem with rows of .erf files not loading up thumbnails of themselves until viewed full-screen.  Any suggestions as to settings I could try / change for this?

Also, I've changed the 'Render RAW for preview when possible' so I get full size previews of those files, but of course it's slowed down editing of all my other files from my Canons - any way that could be set on a camera by camera basis, either tied to the model or the serial number?  Or just set to render RAW when the embedded .jpg is under a certain size, or unavailable?

Thanks,
R!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 05:53:42 PM »
Actually, and I hate to contradict myself again, 4.6.1 doesn't seem to have fixed the problem with rows of .erf files not loading up thumbnails of themselves until viewed full-screen.  Any suggestions as to settings I could try / change for this?

Also, I've changed the 'Render RAW for preview when possible' so I get full size previews of those files, but of course it's slowed down editing of all my other files from my Canons - any way that could be set on a camera by camera basis, either tied to the model or the serial number?  Or just set to render RAW when the embedded .jpg is under a certain size, or unavailable?

I'll look into the ERF problem, but I may need some samples from you.

No, the RAW rendering settings are application-wide.  But you can enable RAW rendering but still prefer the embedded JPEG and while in the Preview dialog, you can press the 'q' key to toggle the RAW rendering quality when you need to.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 06:15:19 PM »

I'll look into the ERF problem, but I may need some samples from you.

No, the RAW rendering settings are application-wide.  But you can enable RAW rendering but still prefer the embedded JPEG and while in the Preview dialog, you can press the 'q' key to toggle the RAW rendering quality when you need to.

.ERF files show up fine for me.  (at least the ones I have do show up fine.)  I'm going to need some samples.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk