Author Topic: Interesting poll found on sportsshooter.com  (Read 10484 times)

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Interesting poll found on sportsshooter.com
« on: July 01, 2006, 02:29:37 PM »
PhotoMechanic made the top in a recent user poll on sportsshooter.com:
http://www.sportsshooter.com/poll.html?results=1&pid=57

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Interesting poll found on sportsshooter.com
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 04:14:26 PM »
PhotoMechanic made the top in a recent user poll on sportsshooter.com:
http://www.sportsshooter.com/poll.html?results=1&pid=57

Yep.  That poll was from December of 2004.  I think that for people under tight deadlines (sports photography and photojournalism) Photo Mechanic is still to this day the choice of those photographers.

I was at the Microsoft Pro Photo Summit this week (June 28-29, 2006) and I gave a presentation along with folks from Adobe, ACD Systems, Extensis, and iView Multimedia.  Each of us were allowed about five minutes to demonstrate our software.  I chose to show how Photo Mechanic can be used to get one's photos up to a service very quickly.  I ingested a bunch of Hockey photos provided graciously by Mike Sturk and during the Ingest, applied IPTC Stationery, previewed the photos (still while downloading), picked the best single photo, cropped it, captioned it with Code Replacement, and then uploaded it to PhotoShelter.  About 1/4 to 1/3 of the audience were Photo Mechanic users, and when the demo was over there was much applause.

Very cool since I was quite nervous speaking about Photo Mechanic in front of 300 of the top photographers and industry insiders, especially when I had to abandon my MacBook running Windows XP under BootCamp (the video projector couldn't handle a digital-only signal) and use a machine I had never used before.  But the demo went without a hitch (I even had to borrow a USB card-reader since I only had FireWire readers with me.)

Special thanks go to Mike Sturk for his Hockey photos, John Omvik of Lexar for letting me borrow his USB card reader, and Nick Didlick of Blue Pixel for offering his Windows laptop.

Several people came up to me after the presentation to ask me about Code Replacement since they were amazed at how quickly I was able to caption a photo with relevant information with no spelling errors.

-Kirk

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 05:36:04 AM »
Well Done.
I'm sure you drew a large croud with the stunning features of PM.
One of the best festures for me is to be able to select winners in my MKII's.. and then
being able to select (F3)them, after ingestion..
I'v convinced quite a few colleagues over here to try it out.. and the response is great.
Btw. how about your online purchasing thing.. would be much easier for people which are already convinced, and are keen on getting the product.. any plans on that..??

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 06:17:50 AM »
Well Done.
I'm sure you drew a large croud with the stunning features of PM.
One of the best festures for me is to be able to select winners in my MKII's.. and then
being able to select (F3)them, after ingestion..
I'v convinced quite a few colleagues over here to try it out.. and the response is great.
Btw. how about your online purchasing thing.. would be much easier for people which are already convinced, and are keen on getting the product.. any plans on that..??

Our online store is being worked on right now.  I expect it to go online in a week or two.

-Kirk

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 08:11:30 AM »
This is great news Kirk.. good to hear..
if it's online, i will post it in two large german photo forum to spread it out fast..

One question was just raised today on a comparison of Fotostation with PM..
It's about searching pictures by IPTC information..
currently i'm using picasa for the search.. which is not working reliable all the time..
It would be great use only one reliable software for all this..
Are there any plans for doing this..??

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 10:17:58 AM »
This is great news Kirk.. good to hear..
if it's online, i will post it in two large german photo forum to spread it out fast..

One question was just raised today on a comparison of Fotostation with PM..
It's about searching pictures by IPTC information..
currently i'm using picasa for the search.. which is not working reliable all the time..

Sure, once we have cataloging working you should be able to do very fast searches.

-Kirk

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 04:04:31 AM »
Hi,

For the time being how about spotlight?

-- Robert Edwards.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 06:35:00 AM »
Hi,

For the time being how about spotlight?

-- Robert Edwards.

Since he is using Picasa, he must be on Windows.  Spotlight is a Mac OS X 10.4 feature.

-Kirk