Author Topic: Saved Search: actual file locations?  (Read 6040 times)

Offline PGuyton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Saved Search: actual file locations?
« on: October 05, 2008, 06:34:45 AM »
This may be a stupid question but here goes. I have a saved Search based on a keyword.  Since I'm on OS X, when I open up that saved search in a new contact sheet, it uses Spotlight to find the images and display them.  However, when I look at the resulting contact sheet, I can't determine the file's actual location on my Mac.  For instance, Spotlight returns two copies of the same NEF and I'm trying to figure out where the two are, what is the best way?  What I've done is open the file in Capture NX2 (my editor) and do a "save as" to find the location. Gotta be a better way.

Regards,
Peter "somewhat of a newbie" G.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Saved Search: actual file locations?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 07:20:39 AM »
Peter,

This may be a stupid question but here goes. I have a saved Search based on a keyword.  Since I'm on OS X, when I open up that saved search in a new contact sheet, it uses Spotlight to find the images and display them.  However, when I look at the resulting contact sheet, I can't determine the file's actual location on my Mac.  For instance, Spotlight returns two copies of the same NEF and I'm trying to figure out where the two are, what is the best way?  What I've done is open the file in Capture NX2 (my editor) and do a "save as" to find the location. Gotta be a better way.

Right-click on the photo in the Contact Sheet and choose "Reveal in Finder" and the Finder will show you a window containing that file.  Or if you select the image, the status text at the bottom of the window will show the path (subject to the length of the path fitting into the width of your Contact Sheet window.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline PGuyton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:08:07 AM »
Duh.... I told you it was a stupid question. The path at the bottom wasn't visible because I'd slid my window down, just barely off the screen and I should have used "reveal in finder".  Just seemed like the "File Info" should include it (on the right side of the screen) when preview window is open.

On another note: is there a way to exclude PM+Spotlight searches from finding files in certain locations (e.g. in Mac Mail's sent item attachment folder) without excluding those locations from Spotlight altogether in System Preferences?   E.g. I want PM to not find files in Mail when I create a Search in PM, but I want to leave those folders (e.g Mail) in Spotlight's realm. 

Thanks in advance,
Peter G.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 02:58:49 PM »
Peter,

Duh.... I told you it was a stupid question. The path at the bottom wasn't visible because I'd slid my window down, just barely off the screen and I should have used "reveal in finder".  Just seemed like the "File Info" should include it (on the right side of the screen) when preview window is open.

That's up to you.  If you want to add that information to the Info Text you can.  See "Set Info Text..." on the Edit menu.

Quote from: PGuyton
On another note: is there a way to exclude PM+Spotlight searches from finding files in certain locations (e.g. in Mac Mail's sent item attachment folder) without excluding those locations from Spotlight altogether in System Preferences?   E.g. I want PM to not find files in Mail when I create a Search in PM, but I want to leave those folders (e.g Mail) in Spotlight's realm.

Not in version 4.5.  That feature is coming in version 4.6.

-Kirk

Offline PGuyton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »
Thanks! Really appreciate it.

For the record: leveraging Spotlight is a brilliant move (on the Mac), it really provides some Asset-Management-like search functionality to PM. 

Regards,
Peter G.