Author Topic: Help with reading IPTC file info  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Boggy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Help with reading IPTC file info
« on: October 19, 2008, 09:26:37 AM »
Right, I have PM4.5 (which is fab).
My problem is my client can't read any of the info I've added.
I ingest, with IPTC stationary pad, tag/colour code and use the code replacement etc my images. I then export to CS and run some actions and save in a seperate folder. Then back in PM (I have the folder open) I "select all" the images run through the CS actions and using the "send photo's by email" option mail them to my client.
My client has told me he can't see any file info his end. Have checked in PM and I can read it, have checked in CS and can read it. So why can't he read it his end? Is there something in the "send as email" I've missed?
Is there a difference if you read the file info in an older/newer version of photoshop? 
What does the "write as unicode" do? What would ticking this box do?
Any ideas,
Shaun

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Help with reading IPTC file info
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 10:30:01 AM »
Shaun,

Right, I have PM4.5 (which is fab).
My problem is my client can't read any of the info I've added.
I ingest, with IPTC stationary pad, tag/colour code and use the code replacement etc my images. I then export to CS and run some actions and save in a seperate folder. Then back in PM (I have the folder open) I "select all" the images run through the CS actions and using the "send photo's by email" option mail them to my client.
My client has told me he can't see any file info his end. Have checked in PM and I can read it, have checked in CS and can read it. So why can't he read it his end? Is there something in the "send as email" I've missed?
Is there a difference if you read the file info in an older/newer version of photoshop?

What application is your client using to view image metadata with?
Try sending an email to yourself.  Can you read the image metadata?

Quote from: Boggy
What does the "write as unicode" do? What would ticking this box do?

It sets the IPTC language encoding to UTF-8 and writes all text in UTF-8 Unicode format.

-Kirk

Offline Boggy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Help with reading IPTC file info
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 11:43:35 AM »

What application is your client using to view image metadata with?
This I don't know, thought it was just in photoshop hence the question of old and new compatibility

Try sending an email to yourself.  Can you read the image metadata?
Have tried this, and I get all the info just as I sent it.
Must be his end (I hope).

Thanks for your help

Shaun