Author Topic: Jpeg Preview to raw files, color changes, etc..  (Read 2644 times)

Offline courtlevephoto

• View Profile
Jpeg Preview to raw files, color changes, etc..
« on: October 20, 2008, 05:24:32 PM »
Not sure if this is a question or a feature request.

As others have noted/asked about. I understand that Photo Mechanic is showing us the jpeg preview of raw files.  These changes are affected by in camera settings.  Are these setting based on how jpeg settings are setup in a camera, even though we aren't shooting jpeg?

My question. Often the jpegs look great but I can not seem to figure out how to keep the appearance of my jpeg to a raw file.  Seems in Light Room/adobe you have to start each file from scratch.  Is there anyway in photo mechanic you could keep the jpeg colors and exposure and import those to raw files?

Lastly.  DNG files.  It seems that what you see is what you get.  Is this correct?

thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Jpeg Preview to raw files, color changes, etc..
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:26:06 PM »
Not sure if this is a question or a feature request.

As others have noted/asked about. I understand that Photo Mechanic is showing us the jpeg preview of raw files.  These changes are affected by in camera settings.  Are these setting based on how jpeg settings are setup in a camera, even though we aren't shooting jpeg?

I would imagine that most cameras would take some hints from the JPEG settings, but it is entirely up to the camera manufacturer as to how they generate the JPEG previews they place inside their RAW files.

Quote from: courtlevephoto
My question. Often the jpegs look great but I can not seem to figure out how to keep the appearance of my jpeg to a raw file.  Seems in Light Room/adobe you have to start each file from scratch.  Is there anyway in photo mechanic you could keep the jpeg colors and exposure and import those to raw files?

I'm not sure I understand your goal.  ACR and Lightroom have their own custom RAW rendering engines and they use their own color profiles to do their rendering.  I don't think they read the JPEG preview at all.

Quote from: courtlevephoto
Lastly.  DNG files.  It seems that what you see is what you get.  Is this correct?

Photo Mechanic shows the embedded previews contained in DNG files just like it does with any other RAW file.

-Kirk

Offline courtlevephoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »
What kills me is that I like how my jpegs look but want the higher rez files of a raw file.  9 out of 10 times the jpeg previews colors are great.  10 out of 10 times when I edit a raw file I have to 'touch up the photo' just to get it back to what the jpegs looked like.

Just curious if perhaps in 4.6, since you will have a convert to .dng feature, if the jpeg settings could be applied.  Since it is a .dng, you could revert to neutral settings in Light Room/ACR, etc..

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 07:23:45 PM »
What kills me is that I like how my jpegs look but want the higher rez files of a raw file.  9 out of 10 times the jpeg previews colors are great.  10 out of 10 times when I edit a raw file I have to 'touch up the photo' just to get it back to what the jpegs looked like.

Just curious if perhaps in 4.6, since you will have a convert to .dng feature, if the jpeg settings could be applied.  Since it is a .dng, you could revert to neutral settings in Light Room/ACR, etc..

We have no control over the conversion.  Adobe's DNG Converter application does all of the work.

-Kirk