Author Topic: FTP from PM slower than Filezilla or smartftp  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Jan

• View Profile
FTP from PM slower than Filezilla or smartftp
« on: October 20, 2008, 01:21:44 AM »
Hello,

i have the problem that the intern FTP-Client of PM is sometimes much slower than an external program like Filezilla oder smartftp.
This depends sometimes on the connection in my office with DSL 6000 down / 700 up intern and extern FTP are equal but with UMTS/G3 pm is much slower than Filezilla. Sometimes Filezilla is two times faster than the intern FTP-Client. What could cause this problem ?

Thx Jan
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 01:15:04 AM by Faas »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: FTP from PM slower than Filezilla or smartftp
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »
Jan,

i have the problem that the intern FTP-Client of PM is sometimes much slower than an external program like Filezilla oder smartftp.
This depends sometimes on the connection in my office with DSL 6000 down / 700 up intern and extern FTP are equal but with UMTS/G3 pm is much slower than Filezilla. Sometimes Filezilla is two times faster than the intern FTP-Client. What could this problem cause ?

It may be that Filezilla has some optimizations in it that Photo Mechanic's FTP does not.  Two that we can think of are:
  1) Uploading multiple files simultaneously.  (This alleviates the issue of slow response during the finalization and subsequent negotiation of a new file upload.)
  2) Performing compression on severs that offer such extensions.

Photo Mechanic does neither of these optimizations at this time.

-Kirk