Author Topic: IPTC:TimeCreated and XMP:TimeCreated  (Read 2659 times)

Offline wazrob

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC:TimeCreated and XMP:TimeCreated
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:01:44 PM »
When I change an IPTC descriptive field using IPTC Info, I find that the Timezone in IPTC and XMP TimeCreated is changed to the computer's current timezone offset.  If I use IPTC Stationery Pad to change IPTC descriptive fields, the timezone offset is NOT changed.

Why is timezone offset changed if I only update an IPTC descriptive field?

e.g.
I have a photo with
IPTC:DateCreated = 2008:09:16
IPTC:TimeCreated = 08:26:08+03:00

If I change the IPTC:Caption on the photo using IPTC Info dialog, I now have a photo with
IPTC:DateCreated = 2008:09:16
IPTC:TimeCreated = 08:26:08+10:00

XMP is changed the same.

Timzone offset of +10:00 is my computer's current timezone offset; not +03:00 as it was when I first loaded the photo.

Is there any way that these fields are not changed if I update IPTC descriptive information using the IPTC Info dialog?

Windows XP SP3
Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2
RAM 2GB

Warren

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC:TimeCreated and XMP:TimeCreated
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »
This will be fixed to not touch the time zone on the IPTC Info edit.  The IPTC Stationery Pad doesn't touch the time, just the date.

We are also looking into more explicit control over the time zone.

--dennis

Offline wazrob

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: IPTC:TimeCreated and XMP:TimeCreated
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 03:38:21 AM »
Dennis,

Should either of these dialogs change the Date, Time or Timezone as they are IPTC Creation Date and Times not Modification Date and Times.

My preference would be that if Photo Mechanic creates the IPTC/XMP block then Photo Mechanic should create the Date, Time and Timezone, otherwise do not change them unless you are changing the photo's Date or Time.  If Photo Mechanic is to change the Date or Time then ask for a Timezone also.

When do you think that we may have the change to not update Timezone as I can no longer use the IPTC Info dialog as it corrupts my GeoTagging data?

Thanks in advance,

Warren