Author Topic: Why is PM so slow to show JPG previews of raw?  (Read 2763 times)

Offline jwreich

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Why is PM so slow to show JPG previews of raw?
« on: October 22, 2008, 11:31:02 AM »
Can anyone help me understand why PM is so slow to load previews from my CR2 raw files? I thought it was because I use an external FW800 drive, so I moved files to an internal drive and it is still slow.

This is slow when compared to Bridge or Breeze Browser... The funny part is BB is faster and it is running under a Virtual Machine on my Mac...

I just don't know why everything else can show the JPG previews so much faster...

EX:
A local directory of 60 images, all CR2

PM: 8 seconds
Adobe Bridge: < 2
Breeze Browser: <2 (running in VMware with images copied to the XP instance)

Multiply this by my usual working directory of 180 images and to load previews can really take some time. If I open multiple folders at once, it slows to a crawl. I don't seem to have this with others and would like to see the performance that everyone raves about.

I'm running on both a iMac and MBP with 4 Gig of ram and the 2.66 and 2.2 processors respectively.

Thanks,
jesse

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Why is PM so slow to show JPG previews of raw?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:56:26 AM »
jesse,

Can anyone help me understand why PM is so slow to load previews from my CR2 raw files? I thought it was because I use an external FW800 drive, so I moved files to an internal drive and it is still slow.

This is slow when compared to Bridge or Breeze Browser... The funny part is BB is faster and it is running under a Virtual Machine on my Mac...

I just don't know why everything else can show the JPG previews so much faster...

EX:
A local directory of 60 images, all CR2

PM: 8 seconds
Adobe Bridge: < 2
Breeze Browser: <2 (running in VMware with images copied to the XP instance)

Multiply this by my usual working directory of 180 images and to load previews can really take some time. If I open multiple folders at once, it slows to a crawl. I don't seem to have this with others and would like to see the performance that everyone raves about.

I'm running on both a iMac and MBP with 4 Gig of ram and the 2.66 and 2.2 processors respectively.

It sounds like you've told PM to use ImageIO rendering of RAW files.  That will definitely slow things down.  Open up the Preferences dialog, click on the RAW tab and turn off the "Enable RAW Rendering (using Apple's ImageIO)" checkbox or at least change the popup menus below the checkbox to use JPEG previews instead of RAW rendering.

The speed should be much more impressive then.

-Kirk

Offline jwreich

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Why is PM so slow to show JPG previews of raw?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 12:37:10 PM »
WOW that did it! Thanks so much!

Jesse