Author Topic: Upgrade Operating System and other software - before or later?  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Shamrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Upgrade Operating System and other software - before or later?
« on: October 28, 2008, 08:18:05 AM »
Hi All,

After a long time (too long) looking and studying, it's time to "take the plunge", and follow the sage advice of persons such as Jason Odell, and download the current (trial) version of Photo Mechanic.

The following are the basic data regarding the computer upon which the trial version of PhotoMechanic will be installed:

Computer:               PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5Gz

Operating System:    OSX 10.4.11

Ram:                      4.5 GB

PM Version:             4.5.3.2 (trial) - when downloaded

Other info:              2.33 internal hard drive
                             1.0 TB external hard drive (connected by Firewire 800
                             750 GB external hard drive (connected by Firewire 800
                             other miscellaneous hard drives - connected by USB (when needed)

Relevant Software:   Capture NX (1.2.0) - primary NEF converter and processor
                             CS2 - post-processing, as necessary

Camera(s):              Nikon D2X
                             Nikon D70
                             Canon PowerShot A85
                             Several film cameras [all Nikon]

For some time, I have been considering upgrading the operating system to OSX 10.5.x ["Leopard"].  From related reading, it appears that Apple is poised to "showcase" the next OSX version "Snow Leopard" at MacWorld Expo in January 2009, and finally release the "Snow Leopard" operating system at WWDC in June 2009.

According to the same sources, it appears that OSX 10.5.x ["Leopard"] may be the last operating system upgrade that will be compatible with the PowerMac G5 (non-Unix) computers (although Apple will apparently continue to support the PowerMac G5 and the OSX 10.5.x ["Leopard"] operating system for that computer into the near future) . 

As a practical matter, I think that I need to make the OSX 10.5.x ["Leopard"] upgrade before the end of the year.

In addition, I am inclined to add the Boinx Fotomagico software in the very near future.

Now for the questions:

01.  Ought I upgrade the current OSX 10.4.11 to OSX 10.5.x ["Leopard"] before downloading and "learning" PhotoMechanic.  What, if any, pluses and minuses are there to upgrading/not upgrading the operating system before adding PhotoMechanic?

02.  Ought I upgrade Capture NX to Capture NX2 before downloading and "learning" PhotoMechanic.  What, if any, pluses and minuses are there to upgrading/not upgrading Capture NX before adding PhotoMechanic?

03.  Ought I upgrade CS2 to CS4 before downloading and "learning" PhotoMechanic.  What, if any, pluses and minuses are there to upgrading/not upgrading to the Creative Suite 4 (Extended) software before adding PhotoMechanic?

04.  Ought I add the Boinx Fotomagico software before downloading and "learning" PhotoMechanic.  What, if any, pluses and minuses are there to adding/not adding to the Boinx Fotomagico software before adding PhotoMechanic?

Thanks for the "education" that I have received in reading the boards over the past several months.  I am excited about using Photo Mechanic to help with about a TB of images.  I am sure that there will be more questions, as that process begins.

Just call me "Shammy".

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Upgrade Operating System and other software - before or later?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 09:23:22 AM »
Hi Shammy,

After a long time (too long) looking and studying, it's time to "take the plunge", and follow the sage advice of persons such as Jason Odell, and download the current (trial) version of Photo Mechanic.

Now for the questions:

01.  Ought I upgrade the current OSX 10.4.11 to OSX 10.5.x ["Leopard"] before downloading and "learning" PhotoMechanic.  What, if any, pluses and minuses are there to upgrading/not upgrading the operating system before adding PhotoMechanic?

It shouldn't make any difference.  Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2 is compatible with 10.3.9 through 10.5.x.

Quote from: Shamrock
02.  Ought I upgrade Capture NX to Capture NX2 before downloading and "learning" PhotoMechanic.  What, if any, pluses and minuses are there to upgrading/not upgrading Capture NX before adding PhotoMechanic?

Capture NX2 has some nice new features and can share 5-star ratings, and color labels with Photo Mechanic.  I don't know of any minuses.

03.  Ought I upgrade CS2 to CS4 before downloading and "learning" PhotoMechanic.  What, if any, pluses and minuses are there to upgrading/not upgrading to the Creative Suite 4 (Extended) software before adding PhotoMechanic?

It shouldn't make any difference, though we do not at this time have CS4 to test against.

04.  Ought I add the Boinx Fotomagico software before downloading and "learning" PhotoMechanic.  What, if any, pluses and minuses are there to adding/not adding to the Boinx Fotomagico software before adding PhotoMechanic?

I am unfamiliar with this software but it appears to be a slide show presentation application.  I see no reason why it would make any difference which piece of software were to be installed first.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Shamrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:06:47 AM »
Kirk,

Thanks for your prompt input.

If any of the other people on the board have any information of their own, particularly regarding any future actual or perceived "conflicts" resulting from upgrades and/or subsequent "installs", I invite their comments as well.

Once again, thank you very much.

Just call me  "Shammy"

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 06:28:10 AM »
Hi Shammy,

I use Nikon camera's too and have a Mac Pro with Leopard 10.5.5 on it, I use PM extensively as well as Nikon Capture NX2 for raw editing.  Photoshop CS4 is used for specific tasks I can not perform with Capture NX2. So our usages are probably similar so maybe I can give you some advise.

While PM runs fine under both, I would say: don’t upgrade to Leopard, yet; learning two new things at the same time is probably a bit overwhelming  ;). After playing with PM for a while, you might definitely want to upgrade, especially as you indicated it may be the last version for your G5. Note: I am only a Mac user for a couple of months so I can't really comment on the differences between Tiger and Leopard, but I think TimeMachine alone is worth it :)

You certainly want to upgrade to NX2, soon.  But the same advise as above regarding learning two new things at a time applies. NX2 is a huge improvement over NX; the retouch brush alone is worth the upgrade (use of Photoshop has been reduced even more, leading to a smoother workflow). I can advise to get Jason Odell's eBook for NX2 as well!

From a PM perspective the version of NX does not matter, it works well with both.

CS2 will work fine, whether or not you like/need the new features of CS4, I do not know. Have a look at the new features and also keep in mind that Adobe does not allow you to indefinitely upgrade from older versions (IIRC, you now need at least CS for an upgrade to CS4, so for CS5 you will probably need to have at least CS2).

Again, from a PM perspective the version of CS does not matter, it works well with both.

I don’t know Boinx, so can’t really comment on it.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask :)

Have fun.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Shamrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 02:26:53 PM »
October 31, 2008

Thanks Hayo,

I have seen your posts at least on these boards, and on the Nikonians boards.  At the outset, let me apologize for the LENGTH of this post.

My current "experiences" with the Nikon cameras go back to the middle of 1993.  From there, it has been "all downhill" (in the best sense of the words) with Nikon equipment.  This reminds me of a story about when I was pointing my Nikon (properly equipped with its "very apparent" long lens) at a nearby waterfall, waiting for the sun to come out from behind a cloud.  Suddenly, I heard a "very official voice" behind me, asking "hey, do you have a license for that cannon?".  Turning around, I saw a Sheriff-friend in an official SUV with all his lights flashing, and with a big grin on his face.  I turned back to the waterfall, replying in my-then-loud voice:  "That's no Canon, it's a Nikon".  The next thing I heard was a short, loud "whelp" from the SUV siren, and the big-engine-rev-up as the very-official-looking SUV proceeded down the road.  A TRUE STORY.

Your comments regarding "learning" PhotoMechanic are well taken.  I finally jumped in and "got wet" yesterday, and am just now starting that whole learning-process (of course, the first step was to download the user manual - the "downloading" was the easy part - now I've got to read the manual and understand what it all means).  Surprisingly, that process is underway, and I have already figured out (with some telephone help of the kind PM folks in Oregon) how to "rename" the many "NEF" and "JPEG" files within the countless computer folders, and how to apply the stationary pad metadata to those files [a couple of "bugs" here, but that too shall pass].

My experiences with the Macs go back even a few more years to the late 1980's.  I am not really concerned about "learning" the Mac OSX upgrade.  As a matter of fact, I ordered Leopard earlier today.

I have been using Capture NX going on two years now.  Before Capture NX, I had been using Photoshop (and then on to CS2).  Then I heard about Jason Odell's "Photographers Guide to Capture NX" book.  And, as I followed the selfless contributions made by Jason Odell about Capture NX on the Nikonian boards, I was very impressed by his careful and persuasive analysis of the need for PhotoMechanic in order to get the most out of Capture NX.  And that brings us "full-circle", back to PhotoMechanic.

It is always humorous how Jason deals with those who complain about the cost of PhotoMechanic.  While paying "lip service" to those complaints, and empathizing with those wanting a "cheaper" alternative [there's something very telling about that word - "cheaper"], Jason has consistently told those complainers about how the PhotoMechanic program actually saves more in time than it costs in money [although I have never seen Jason write about the saved professional fees (doctors, etc) as a result of PM removing so much aggravation associated with the whole "DAM" process].  Another sagacious observation from Jason.

Others can say what they want about the PhotoMechanic program.  All I can say is "neat", "smooth", "classy", "intuitive", "helpful", "time-saving", "professional" ………  Well, I could go on and on, but you get the point(s).  And, this post is long enough (really, too long) already.

From the PhotoMechanic manual, it is clear that I have only begun to scratch the surface with PM.  And, the good Lord willing, I can become familiar with all the PM basics before the end of the year [I hope it's not that long before I upgrade the CNX software].  That [the PM basics] will only come with using PM to help organize the lots of "resting" (and even forgotten) images ready to meet their newest software-friend.

With all that said (and I apologize for the verbosity), I would be making a terrible "faux pas" if I did not recognize the outstanding job that the Camera Bits people are doing to first "build", and second "maintain", and third "improve", the PhotoMechanics program.  In addition to the invaluable help of Kirk (who we all see virtually every day on these boards), Dennis has assembled a relatively small, but very dedicated, "team" out there in Oregon.  Since "taking the plunge" yesterday, I have made the acquaintance of "Katie" and "Jerry" at the PM offices.  It really is amazing, but they are both just as anxious to help over the telephone, as Kirk is on these boards.  Without a doubt, the way that the Camera Bits people work together in servicing all of us is the epitome of how a software company (or any other business, for that matter) ought to treat its customers

THANK YOU, Dennis, and Kirk, and Katie, and Jerry, and all the other Camera Bits folksKEEP UP THE OUTSTANDING WORK!!!!!

Just call me ………

SHAMMY

Offline Shamrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 06:11:47 PM »
November 11, 2008
8:50 P.M.

Good evening all,

Just a short note to share with you the benefit of my 20/20 hindsight.  With the benefit of my experiences following my postings, there are several ways in which responses could have been been made to my original inquiries.  Those possible responses included all of the kind offerings made on this Board.

However, having "lived through" my experiences after having made my two postings [my original October 28, 2008 original posting (this posting), and my separate November 8, 2008 posting (entitled "Need to Reinstall Photo Mechanic")], I would strongly recommend to anyone else considering a system upgrade to get that upgrade completely taken care of before installing and working with any new software.

While I want to believe that all of the "little issues" with upgrading the operating system are now "back to normal", it seems that (almost always at the least opportune time) I discover another "little thing" (associated with the system upgrade) that I need to attend to before being able to properly proceed with the new software.  And it is those "little things" that interrupt the orderly workflow and logistics.

Having said the foregoing, I again reaffirm that I ought to have downloaded Photo Mechanic a long time ago.  While I am still "learning", the simple truth is that Photo Mechanic just makes life so much easier in dealing with the downloading of shoots (no matter the size), and all the "stuff" accompanying that downloading process:  naming/renaming, sorting, rating, embedding metadata, and so on [and I have yet only begun to "scratch the surface" in using the features of Photo Mechanic].  And, as always, the more one works with the software, the easier and easier it becomes.

Once again, thanks for the help of all at Camera Bits (as well as the comments of Hayo).

Just call me

SHAMMY

Good night all!!!