Author Topic: List of coming up enhancements for new version..??  (Read 32038 times)

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
List of coming up enhancements for new version..??
« on: July 03, 2006, 11:19:38 PM »
Hi Kirk,
just to be curious and avoid asking for the same topics over and over again..
Do you already maintain a list of ehancements for the next release,
which you could share with us to get an overview about what's coming
up in the next version..
Would be great and is maybe reducing your mail overhead answering question
about certain features...
Btw.. Thanks for all the good work on this great product..
kind regards, Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: List of coming up enhancements for new version..??
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 06:50:32 AM »
Mike,

just to be curious and avoid asking for the same topics over and over again..
Do you already maintain a list of ehancements for the next release,
which you could share with us to get an overview about what's coming
up in the next version..
Would be great and is maybe reducing your mail overhead answering question
about certain features...
Btw.. Thanks for all the good work on this great product..

I do maintain a list of feature requests that I call the Wish List.  A number of items on the Wish List are slated for version 4.5 but the complete list has not been solidified yet.

Here are the main features:

User will be able to rearrange the order of the thumbnails in the Contact Sheet.
Tabbed UI for Contact Sheets on Mac version (to be like the Windows version).
Full Unicode support for IPTC and XMP.
Revamped IPTC dialogs with a much better keywording interface, and customizable fields.
New HTML exporter with scripting capability, capable of supporting the EOS template system.
Ingest from selection.
Live Slideshow.

Dennis and I will be discussing the final list of features later this week.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 09:44:21 AM »
EOS!  Woo hoo!

Christmas is coming early this year!!!!!

-Mike

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 05:00:36 PM »

User will be able to rearrange the order of the thumbnails in the Contact Sheet.
Revamped IPTC dialogs with a much better keywording interface, and customizable fields.
New HTML exporter with scripting capability, capable of supporting the EOS template system.
Ingest from selection.
Live Slideshow.

-Kirk

No mention of tethered shooting.....
Marc
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 10:13:47 PM »

Ingest from selection.
Live Slideshow.

-Kirk

No mention of tethered shooting.....

True.  Like I said, I will have to talk with Dennis about what will make it into 4.5 and what will be done in a later version.

I searched for tethered shooting on the forums and found nothing but this thread.  Do you remember what thread it was that we were discussing this?  Or if you're willing, explain exactly what "tethered shooting" means to you.  Does it mean that PM would control your camera, or do you just want PM to get your shot photos on screen as fast as possible?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 11:29:01 AM »
How about simple levels adjustments of images?

Cheers,

Paul Smith

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 12:46:57 PM »
I have to chime in here with my view - please NO editing features.

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 02:12:23 PM »
I'd also ask for careful thought before introducing editing features.  It is easy enough to open the file in Photoshop (or your preferred editing program) and I feel that PM should stick to what it is - the meanest, fastest image browser available.  Cataloging features I can understand being added, as it is an easy extension in use from browsing (in principle it is browsing a catalog instead of a folder), but PM will never be PS so be careful with 'feature bloat' :)

(Having said that, a sharpen function that could be applied as images are copied/ftp'd could sometimes be useful.)

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
    • Hotel Resort Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 03:24:20 PM »
I'd also ask for careful thought before introducing editing features.  It is easy enough to open the file in Photoshop (or your preferred editing program) and I feel that PM should stick to what it is - the meanest, fastest image browser available.  Cataloging features I can understand being added, as it is an easy extension in use from browsing (in principle it is browsing a catalog instead of a folder), but PM will never be PS so be careful with 'feature bloat' :)

(Having said that, a sharpen function that could be applied as images are copied/ftp'd could sometimes be useful.)

I agree with no editing facilities. Actually it is quite helpful to see one's images as they come ...it is easier to see the short-comings (over/under-exposure,sharpness etc.) For me PM is all about the housekeeping chores & selection. Adobe or whoever then picks up the batton when it comes to editing.

Steve

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 04:10:11 PM »
Well I'd love to see rudimentary Curves (or Levels) and Unsharp Mask controls.

Being able to Copy, Caption, Rename, Resize, Crop, Edit and FTP extremely quickly from just PM would be excellent.

Having to open some photos in Photoshop, tweak them, resave them; then switch back to PM to FTP them is time consuming (I work for an evening newspaper so my deadlines are often only a few minutes away), and an exercise in physical dexterity when you're performing these actions using a track-pad while balancing the laptop on one knee as my picture editor keeps asking where the hell the pictures are! (I wish that was an exaggeration!)

So please count this as a vote for the inclusion of basic editing controls.

We all have different needs, editing features for me are way more important than DAM [1] features.

Cheers,
Tony

[1] Digital Asset Management....I should've simply said cataloguing features.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 04:18:52 PM by Tony Hall »

Offline Andrew MacKay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Keaphotos.com
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 08:01:58 PM »
Another vote for simple levels and please please arbutary rotate on crop. Like Tony I have very very tight deadlines.

Offline gregoire

• View Profile
    • www.emilegregoire.com
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 04:20:11 AM »
I know this will put the door wide open for discussions on image editing capabilities, but just an export to jpg/tiff would be lovely. I think PM gives a nice representation of my CR2 files (albeit on the dark side) and would sometimes like to use this as a basis for further editing without going through the motions of adobe camera raw. Exporting cr2 to jpg is allready possible through an export to html but why not skip the html part of it and provide us with an export to jpg (and preferably tiff) immediately? Or make a 'Save as' possible for raw files? The technology is there!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 06:25:44 AM »
I know this will put the door wide open for discussions on image editing capabilities, but just an export to jpg/tiff would be lovely. I think PM gives a nice representation of my CR2 files (albeit on the dark side) and would sometimes like to use this as a basis for further editing without going through the motions of adobe camera raw. Exporting cr2 to jpg is allready possible through an export to html but why not skip the html part of it and provide us with an export to jpg (and preferably tiff) immediately? Or make a 'Save as' possible for raw files? The technology is there!

If you're on Mac OS X 10.4.6 and higher, then Save As will convert a CR2 to a JPEG or a TIFF file.  The support for this is built into Mac OS X 10.4 and became fairly reliable in 10.4.6.

On Windows we're waiting for Vista which has a really cool system for allowing the camera manufacturers to provide plugins to render their RAW files.  Canon and Nikon have signed on and hopefully other camera manufacturers will follow suit.

-Kirk

Offline gregoire

• View Profile
    • www.emilegregoire.com
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 07:30:08 AM »
If you're on Mac OS X 10.4.6 and higher, then Save As will convert a CR2 to a JPEG or a TIFF file.  The support for this is built into Mac OS X 10.4 and became fairly reliable in 10.4.6.

On Windows we're waiting for Vista which has a really cool system for allowing the camera manufacturers to provide plugins to render their RAW files.  Canon and Nikon have signed on and hopefully other camera manufacturers will follow suit.

-Kirk

Hmmm... yet another reason to switch to Mac. I'm not planning on upgrading to Vista and, on top of that, it will take a while to hit the shelves. I had just hoped you could do the jpg export easily seeing you've allready integrated it into the html export... Thanks for the info though - pretty novel to me.

Looking forward to 4.5: it looks like an upgrade with serious pro's.. Any info on the timetable?

Emile

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 09:14:42 AM »
Emile,

Hmmm... yet another reason to switch to Mac. I'm not planning on upgrading to Vista and, on top of that, it will take a while to hit the shelves. I had just hoped you could do the jpg export easily seeing you've allready integrated it into the html export... Thanks for the info though - pretty novel to me.

What you're getting there is just the JPEG preview embedded inside the RAW file.  You can already pull the previews out of the RAW files, creating standalone JPEGs in the process by using the "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos..." command on the Tools menu.

Quote from: gregoire
Looking forward to 4.5: it looks like an upgrade with serious pro's.. Any info on the timetable?

Not yet.

-Kirk