Author Topic: List of coming up enhancements for new version..??  (Read 32037 times)

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
Re: List of coming up enhancements for new version..??
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 08:34:42 AM »
If Dennis calls me and asks... I'd say the Bridge/iview compatible 5 star rating is at the top of my list right now for PM enhancement.

Ron

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 05:26:29 AM »
I also have to chime in here with my view - please NO editing features.

One of the best things about Photo Mechanic is that its 'the meanest, fastest image browser available', please don't change that.

Offline Dan-o

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »
I have to chime in here with my view - please NO editing features.

I'd agree. That's what ACR, LightRoom, Photoshop et al are for. PM should stick to its strengths and build out based on those. Live Ingest / Preview for example (what others are calling Tethered Shooting) is a logical extension of PM's existing strengths: fast accurate previews, handling metadata and organizing files. Let the editing software do their thing, and tie into them with PM, don't duplicate the functionality. At most I might suggest some type of non-destructive temperature slider, that let's you see what a white balance corrected image might look like once you get it into an editor. Possibly something like that might be available for OS X in Core Image but I'm not sure....

-Dan

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 01:32:39 PM »
Here is another vote for "simple" editing tools for toning and rotating image slightly.  It would be nice to use only one program when working on deadline and not two and having to switch back and forth to selected, switch to edit, and then switch to caption and send. 

Perhaps the solution is to make separate applications for newspaper, magazines, and photojournalist who work on deadline and call it "PhotoMechanic PJS" [PJS= Photojournalist Solution] and leave the original version for everyone who don't have jobs that are time sensitive.  May be the editing tool could be written as a module to work in concert with the current version. 

I really hate switching between programs and sure others do as well.  It would be worth paying a little more the feature to get my images on "the wire" faster in my mind after using this product for the last couple of months.   PhotoMechanic is GREAT, adding some feature to tone and do small rotation corrections would make it PERFECT. 

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 02:10:58 PM »
Here is another strict vote against editing functionality in PM.
There are so much editing programs around, which provide functionality we ever dreamed off..
So for me it does not make any sense stuffing up the dev people with building another pic editor..
I would rather see functions like IPTC search also recursively in subfolders.. and so on..
Mike

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 08:33:57 PM »
Well, to me, things like IPTC search are for database programs like Extensis Portfolio. I don't use Photo Mechanic for anything like that. The whole beauty of PM is the ability to speedily be able to ingest, caption, rename & select images for transmission.

The addition of a simple means of being able to tweak the levels of an image before sending would be a wonderful addition - obviously as long as it didn't come at the expense of PM's great speed.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 03:50:28 PM »
Well, to me, things like IPTC search are for database programs like Extensis Portfolio. I don't use Photo Mechanic for anything like that. The whole beauty of PM is the ability to speedily be able to ingest, caption, rename & select images for transmission.

The addition of a simple means of being able to tweak the levels of an image before sending would be a wonderful addition - obviously as long as it didn't come at the expense of PM's great speed.

Cheers,

Paul
Hi Paul,
if i understand you right, you would like to suggest to use a different program just for IPTC search in folders..
Well this seems not a good choice for me, because of the extra money, resources and performance it would need to be run..
Indexing on the fly and doing fast IPTC searches will significantly increase the usage factor.. also for the Fotostation and I-media people.. which are a great target group for PM :))
kind rgds, Mike

Offline dgreenphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 05:20:33 PM »
Will there ever be a live preview function in the print menu, so you can see what your printed contact sheets will look like before you hit print? ACDSee has this feature. It lets you control how your contact sheets are going to look to the pin...just a request, don't know if it's in the works or not.

Thanks!

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 10:01:15 PM »
David,

Will there ever be a live preview function in the print menu, so you can see what your printed contact sheets will look like before you hit print? ACDSee has this feature. It lets you control how your contact sheets are going to look to the pin...just a request, don't know if it's in the works or not.

Sure, probably at some point.  But it is definitely not high on our list.

-Kirk

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 04:35:35 AM »
Hi David,

Will there ever be a live preview function in the print menu

Meantime I use the Epson print driver utility that shows a preview before printing. Not as fast but does the same thing.

-- Robert.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 01:43:13 AM »
Here is another strict vote against editing functionality in PM.
There are so much editing programs around, which provide functionality we ever dreamed off..
So for me it does not make any sense stuffing up the dev people with building another pic editor..

There are so much programs for that...but PM is faster, better, more advanced in all other fields. If these small edit features wouldn't slow it and wouldn't make it unstable I would wellcome them.

However I have a program on my _PDA_ that allows not only captioning, IPTC tagging, but exposure, white balance, and crop settings before you would send your images from site _with using only one program on a single PDA_.
That is what I find the most important in this wish to enhance PM editing features. Not to use anyithing else. Quick and easy and avesome FAST!!!

I would rather see functions like IPTC search also recursively in subfolders.. and so on..

Well as Camera Bits is planning/working on some database kind of project I'm sure they will offer great stuff for these IPTC search and so on needs.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com