Author Topic: Question for Kirk re: PM Classic Export.  (Read 10813 times)

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
Question for Kirk re: PM Classic Export.
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:38:08 AM »
Hi Kirk,

First let me say I use you PM every day and love it... It makes my life much easier, and I keep on trying Aperture, Lightroom and others but nothing matches the speed of loading and being able to sort and delete. FYI from here I go to PS Camera Raw and then back to PM for gallery making and uploading.

OK, my question and problem is that I like PM Classic Export but I miss one feature which I sorely desire. The ability for PM to make a link to the full resolution file from the popup larger view window. Hope you understand what I mean? I'm dealing with people who I don't have a problem with them getting the full res. files and my galleries are behind a password protected area.

What I would like is a link on the pop up page where viewers can control click to down load the full res. jpg file, probably either using the  file name underneath the photograph or on a separate line, with an explanation of what to do.

IS this possible with the PM Classic Export plugin or scriptable with apple script? I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount if needs be!

Look forward to hearing the answer.

PS I don't know if its a bug or not with PM Classic Export but I find that I have to take the photoshop file ending .psd off the image files before I run it through PM Classic Export, otherwise the file names created for both thumbs and photos are as follows '2008-10-31_14-44-46.psd.jpg'. Is it me or a bug?

As always thanks for PM.

Regards,

Charles

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Question for Kirk re: PM Classic Export.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 08:50:17 AM »
Charles,

OK, my question and problem is that I like PM Classic Export but I miss one feature which I sorely desire. The ability for PM to make a link to the full resolution file from the popup larger view window. Hope you understand what I mean? I'm dealing with people who I don't have a problem with them getting the full res. files and my galleries are behind a password protected area.

What I would like is a link on the pop up page where viewers can control click to down load the full res. jpg file, probably either using the  file name underneath the photograph or on a separate line, with an explanation of what to do.

IS this possible with the PM Classic Export plugin or scriptable with apple script? I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount if needs be!

I could see adding a link underneath the image that referenced the full size image, and then if the user right-clicks on the link, they could choose download from the contextual menu.

I'll think about adding it.

Quote from: charlesteton
PS I don't know if its a bug or not with PM Classic Export but I find that I have to take the photoshop file ending .psd off the image files before I run it through PM Classic Export, otherwise the file names created for both thumbs and photos are as follows '2008-10-31_14-44-46.psd.jpg'. Is it me or a bug?

It is not a bug.  You must have told PM to use the original filenames.  Since web browsers cannot view a PSD file, we have to turn it into a JPEG and thus we add on the .jpg to the existing filename.  We used to just trim off the .psd and then add on the .jpg, but that interfered in the following scenario:

2008-10-31_14-44-46.psd
2008-10-31_14-44-46.jpg

The two files would then become a single file and if they looked different at all then that was a problem.

-Kirk

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 10:30:36 AM »
>>I could see adding a link underneath the image that referenced the full size image, and then if the user right-clicks on the link, they could choose download from the contextual menu.

I'll think about adding it.>>

Great, I've sent a PM to you as well...

>>It is not a bug.  You must have told PM to use the original filenames.  Since web browsers cannot view a PSD file, we have to turn it into a JPEG and thus we add on the .jpg to the existing filename.  We used to just trim off the .psd and then add on the .jpg, but that interfered in the following scenario:

2008-10-31_14-44-46.psd
2008-10-31_14-44-46.jpg

The two files would then become a single file and if they looked different at all then that was a problem.>>

But what happens when you want to keep the original file names rather than get PM to create new ones?

Thanks for you speedy replay.

Charles

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 10:38:50 AM »
Charles,

>>It is not a bug.  You must have told PM to use the original filenames.  Since web browsers cannot view a PSD file, we have to turn it into a JPEG and thus we add on the .jpg to the existing filename.  We used to just trim off the .psd and then add on the .jpg, but that interfered in the following scenario:

2008-10-31_14-44-46.psd
2008-10-31_14-44-46.jpg

The two files would then become a single file and if they looked different at all then that was a problem.>>

But what happens when you want to keep the original file names rather than get PM to create new ones?

That's what we're already talking about here, right?  Keeping the original names.

-Kirk

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 10:45:55 AM »
I try fiddling again and get back, maybe its me!

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 05:14:23 AM »
Kirk,

Even if I save from the RAW files, the file type does not get trimmed i.e. 2008-10-31_14-48-31.tif.jpg

I've selected 'use original filenames for images', which seems to be the only option.

Any ideas, running PM 4.5.3.2

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 05:55:14 AM »
Charles,

Even if I save from the RAW files, the file type does not get trimmed i.e. 2008-10-31_14-48-31.tif.jpg

I've selected 'use original filenames for images', which seems to be the only option.

Any ideas, running PM 4.5.3.2

As I described earlier, it is operating correctly according to its design.  If the original filename does not end in .jpg or .jpeg already then .jpg is tacked onto the filename.

It is working as intended.

-Kirk

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 07:15:48 AM »
OK, I'll just carry on using an applescript to trim the .psd prior to running through PM and then use the script to put them back afterwards.

>> I could see adding a link underneath the image that referenced the full size image, and then if the user right-clicks on the link, they could choose download from the contextual menu. I'll think about adding it. >>

Any idea when this could be possible? i.e. Soon or with another version, as I'm pretty desperate to have it as I said in my private message. Is it a matter of editing the ruby template-main.rb template?

Many thanks.

Charles

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 09:21:58 AM »
Charles,

>> I could see adding a link underneath the image that referenced the full size image, and then if the user right-clicks on the link, they could choose download from the contextual menu. I'll think about adding it. >>

Any idea when this could be possible? i.e. Soon or with another version, as I'm pretty desperate to have it as I said in my private message. Is it a matter of editing the ruby template-main.rb template?

Possibly in 4.6.  It would require modifying the Ruby code, yes.

-Kirk

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 03:58:38 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks so much for getting your Ruby coder, Jerry, to work on the modifications... It worked a treat... Rebuilt ten plus galleries and over 4,000 photos with links to full res. jpgs. Both client and I are very happy... As per usual outstanding service... Hope everyone will have use of new feature in next update too... I can't wait for 4.6! Any betas?

Give my thanks to Jerry...

Regards,

Charles

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 04:06:47 PM »
>> As I described earlier, it is operating correctly according to its design.  If the original filename does not end in .jpg or .jpeg already then .jpg is tacked onto the filename. It is working as intended. >>

Question though, what is the logic behind this?

Would it not be better to give the user the option? As per Jerry's new bit of code... I get PM Classic Export 2 to process psd files, which I have removed the psd ext from, temporarily, otherwise the names will be 2008-10-31_14-48-31.tif.jpg. Instead they are correctly named 2008-10-31_14-48-31.jpg, and with the new high res. link, I can specify what I want it to be as it only provides a link and does not process the file. Which for me is better in the case as PS Batch Automate produces a slimmer jpg file and in the future I could specify tiff or a psd file if they needed it.

Sorry to be a pain...

Regards,

Charles

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 07:54:42 PM »
Charles,

>> As I described earlier, it is operating correctly according to its design.  If the original filename does not end in .jpg or .jpeg already then .jpg is tacked onto the filename. It is working as intended. >>

Question though, what is the logic behind this?

I thought I explained it already.  Please read: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=3559.msg16005#msg16005

-Kirk

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 05:06:55 AM »
>> t is not a bug.  You must have told PM to use the original filenames.  Since web browsers cannot view a PSD file, we have to turn it into a JPEG and thus we add on the .jpg to the existing filename.  We used to just trim off the .psd and then add on the .jpg, but that interfered in the following scenario:

2008-10-31_14-44-46.psd
2008-10-31_14-44-46.jpg

But when PM Classic Export is making the gallery its making those changes on the fly isn't it? If so when will is get confused? Could there not be an option to go back to the original way you were describing?

Regards,

Charles
Official pain in the butt!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 05:00:24 PM »
Charles,

>> It is not a bug.  You must have told PM to use the original filenames.  Since web browsers cannot view a PSD file, we have to turn it into a JPEG and thus we add on the .jpg to the existing filename.  We used to just trim off the .psd and then add on the .jpg, but that interfered in the following scenario:

2008-10-31_14-44-46.psd
2008-10-31_14-44-46.jpg

But when PM Classic Export is making the gallery its making those changes on the fly isn't it? If so when will is get confused? Could there not be an option to go back to the original way you were describing?

The issue is that the exporters don't keep track of whether there will or will not be duplicates and doing what it does the way it does is guaranteed to work.

-Kirk