Author Topic: PS CS4, PM 4.5.3.2 and Beta, Multiple NEF Files  (Read 5895 times)

Offline garygardiner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PS CS4, PM 4.5.3.2 and Beta, Multiple NEF Files
« on: November 03, 2008, 01:32:42 PM »
Kirk,

Have above configuration running on XP SP3.

Was able to open in Camera Raw more than one NEF file by using ctrl-E on multiple selects. PS CS4 is the selected program and it does work with single files.

However, that function no longer works in CS4. I am moved to PS CS4 if it is open but the ACR dialog does not show. If I try to open multiple files with PS CS4 closed, the ACR dialog does show after PS CS4 load.

I am able to open multiple files in ACR through Bridge CS4 with PS CS4 open or closed.

Am I missing something in PS CS4 setup that is new? ( I know. It's not a PM question.) Is it a setting PM I'm failing to set?

Thanks,

Gary Gardiner
garygardiner.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PS CS4, PM 4.5.3.2 and Beta, Multiple NEF Files
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 01:52:38 PM »
Gary,

Have above configuration running on XP SP3.

Was able to open in Camera Raw more than one NEF file by using ctrl-E on multiple selects. PS CS4 is the selected program and it does work with single files.

However, that function no longer works in CS4. I am moved to PS CS4 if it is open but the ACR dialog does not show. If I try to open multiple files with PS CS4 closed, the ACR dialog does show after PS CS4 load.

I am able to open multiple files in ACR through Bridge CS4 with PS CS4 open or closed.

Am I missing something in PS CS4 setup that is new? ( I know. It's not a PM question.) Is it a setting PM I'm failing to set?

No, there is nothing special that needs to be set in PM.  To find out if this is purely an Adobe issue, you could try opening PSCS4, then using Windows Explorer, select some photos, drag them onto the PSCS4 taskbar window, wait for PSCS4 to come forward and then drop the images into the PSCS4 main window.  If the problem still persists then it is definitely Adobe's problem.  If it then works fine in the test, then there may be something that could be improved in PM to workaround the current problem you're having.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline garygardiner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 02:11:11 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Here's the latest results.

Reset PM to use CS3 sted CS4 and everything worked. Opened multiple files into ACR and CS3 without problem.

Set prefs for CS4 and got following results.

CS4 closed. Selected three NEF files in PM. Ctrl-E to open. CS4 opened and ACR opened all three images.

CS4 closed. Selected same three NEF files in PM. Ctrl-E to open. CS4 came to front and ACR did not open.

CS4 open. Dragged three NEF files (same as above) into CS4 window. ACR opened all three images.

It may be something specific to my system. I'd say wait until you get someone else with the same problem before spending any amount of time on it.

It's nice to use PM and ACR for multiple images when you want to output jpgs from NEFs without opening in PS. Can do the same thing from Bridge but it is less of a program for my needs than PM.

Especially if you add the DNG option.

GG

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »
Gary,

Here's the latest results.

Reset PM to use CS3 sted CS4 and everything worked. Opened multiple files into ACR and CS3 without problem.

Set prefs for CS4 and got following results.

CS4 closed. Selected three NEF files in PM. Ctrl-E to open. CS4 opened and ACR opened all three images.

CS4 closed. Selected same three NEF files in PM. Ctrl-E to open. CS4 came to front and ACR did not open.

CS4 open. Dragged three NEF files (same as above) into CS4 window. ACR opened all three images.

It may be something specific to my system. I'd say wait until you get someone else with the same problem before spending any amount of time on it.

I'd like for you to try this one last test: Have CS4 open, select photos in PM, then drag them onto the CS4 TaskBar icon, wait for CS4 to come forward, then drop them.  Does it work then?

Quote from: garygardiner
It's nice to use PM and ACR for multiple images when you want to output jpgs from NEFs without opening in PS. Can do the same thing from Bridge but it is less of a program for my needs than PM.

Especially if you add the DNG option./quote]

What DNG option?

-Kirk

Offline garygardiner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 04:52:48 PM »
Drag and drop works.

One caveat. I use two monitors so dragging from one to other without taskbar to bring PS to front. (NEF and DNG)

Hope that helps.

GG
garygardiner.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 05:35:14 PM »
Gary,

Drag and drop works.

One caveat. I use two monitors so dragging from one to other without taskbar to bring PS to front. (NEF and DNG)

Could you try purposefully minimizing CS4 and then try the drag and drop again?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline garygardiner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 11:58:34 AM »
Kirk,

Sri I didn't get back sooner. There's this terrible thing called work that interferes.

Dragging multiple files to PS on taskbar works. Multiple NEF images opened in ACR. Good to know.

Thanks,

GG
garygardiner.com