Author Topic: Add Convert to sRGB during "Extract JPG Previews from RAW Photos" + more  (Read 6908 times)

Offline jrubio2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello there PM crew.  Really liking PM.  Super fast.  Anyway, have a few questions/requests:

- Would like to have the capability of adding a Convert to sRGB feature/checkbox when doing an "Extract JPG Previews from RAW Photos".  This would allow me to keep the exact embedded JPG, and only convert to sRGB.  I understand I can do an Export, which allows converting to sRGB, but this creates thumbnails, html files, etc so its a bit cumbersome.  Another problem with doing an Export is that I don't know what quality to select to get the same quality as the embedded JPEG.  There's a slider, but what do I select if all I want is the embedded JPEG's quality?

- When will you add D700 functionality that uses Apple's ImageIO for rendering (so I can use the Save As command)?  I generally work with the embedded JPEG, but this would be nice if possible.  I believe Apple has released D700 RAW compatibility a while ago.

- Another option, instead of adding Convert to sRGB to Extract would be to allow JPG extracts to happen during the Save Photos As command because this has Convert to sRGB enabled.  (BTW, this feature does not work with my D700 files because D700 compatibility hasn't been added.)  I would prefer to be able to extract embedded JPEGs using Save Photos As (b/c it Converts to sRGB) than for you to use Apples RAW rendering because I want the "Nikon cooked" JPEG.  Basically, if you could allow embedded JPEGs to be used with the Save Photos As command that would be great.  Not sure if I'm explaining this correctly.

If you would consider adding these features it would be great.  Thanks.

System - Mac OS X 10.5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Add Convert to sRGB during "Extract JPG Previews from RAW Photos" + more
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 05:22:42 AM »
Hello there PM crew.  Really liking PM.  Super fast.  Anyway, have a few questions/requests:

- Would like to have the capability of adding a Convert to sRGB feature/checkbox when doing an "Extract JPG Previews from RAW Photos".  This would allow me to keep the exact embedded JPG, and only convert to sRGB.  I understand I can do an Export, which allows converting to sRGB, but this creates thumbnails, html files, etc so its a bit cumbersome.  Another problem with doing an Export is that I don't know what quality to select to get the same quality as the embedded JPEG.  There's a slider, but what do I select if all I want is the embedded JPEG's quality?

There is no particular slider position that would give you an image with exactly no modification to the data.  With the Exporter, the image is decoded to a bitmap and then scaled to fit the desired size, and then JPEG compressed again to create the destination file.

Quote from: jrubio2
- When will you add D700 functionality that uses Apple's ImageIO for rendering (so I can use the Save As command)?  I generally work with the embedded JPEG, but this would be nice if possible.  I believe Apple has released D700 RAW compatibility a while ago.

Apple hasn't added support to ImageIO for third-party applications for some time now.  The updates you refer to work only for their applications (iPhoto and Aperture).  This really hasn't been kind support from Apple.  It sounds like a conflict of interest to me...

- Another option, instead of adding Convert to sRGB to Extract would be to allow JPG extracts to happen during the Save Photos As command because this has Convert to sRGB enabled.  (BTW, this feature does not work with my D700 files because D700 compatibility hasn't been added.)  I would prefer to be able to extract embedded JPEGs using Save Photos As (b/c it Converts to sRGB) than for you to use Apples RAW rendering because I want the "Nikon cooked" JPEG.  Basically, if you could allow embedded JPEGs to be used with the Save Photos As command that would be great.  Not sure if I'm explaining this correctly.

Version 4.6 is going to do exactly what you're describing above.

-Kirk

Offline jrubio2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »
Thanks for the fast response Kirk.

Very happy to be able to extract JPGs from RAW using the Save As command.  I'm happily waiting for Version 4.6.

Regarding the ImageIO for 3rd Party Apps, I agree with your conflict of interest statement.  Don't like that at all.  I had a Nikon D300 and have some files from a D3 and these work fine and allow Save As in the latest PM.  Are you saying Apple allows 3rd party Image IO usage for the D300/D3, but not for the D700?  At least at this time?

Thanks again and take care.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:57:05 PM »
Thanks for the fast response Kirk.

Very happy to be able to extract JPGs from RAW using the Save As command.  I'm happily waiting for Version 4.6.

Regarding the ImageIO for 3rd Party Apps, I agree with your conflict of interest statement.  Don't like that at all.  I had a Nikon D300 and have some files from a D3 and these work fine and allow Save As in the latest PM.  Are you saying Apple allows 3rd party Image IO usage for the D300/D3, but not for the D700?  At least at this time?

That is correct.  Apple's Preview application is a good indicator of what PM is able to do with ImageIO.  If Preview can't do it, then PM won't be able to do it either.

-Kirk

Offline jrubio2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 04:59:42 PM »
Kirk,

Preview is able to fully render D700 NEF files now.  Support was added about a month and a half ago.  Does this mean there is hope for PM rendering D700 files using AppleIO? 

Again, I'm mostly interested in the feature you're adding for version 4.6 that allows "Save Photo As" to use the embedded JPG in RAW files.  That will be excellent.  Any timeframe for the release of version 4.6?

Thanks again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 10:09:20 PM »
Preview is able to fully render D700 NEF files now.  Support was added about a month and a half ago.  Does this mean there is hope for PM rendering D700 files using AppleIO?

It sounds like it may work.

Again, I'm mostly interested in the feature you're adding for version 4.6 that allows "Save Photo As" to use the embedded JPG in RAW files.  That will be excellent.  Any timeframe for the release of version 4.6?

No, but it is our top priority.

-Kirk