Author Topic: Updating from 4.5.3.1 to 4.5.3.2  (Read 2940 times)

Offline MikeA

• View Profile
Updating from 4.5.3.1 to 4.5.3.2
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:58:06 PM »
Kirk or support team:

I haven't yet found a FAQ item (or message here) concerning this question -- if there's a message thread or FAQ for it, please advise. Otherwise :) ...

I have been slow about updating PM 4.5.3.1 to 4.5.3.2. Now I'm getting to it, and on launching the 4.5.3.2 installer, I noticed that it doesn't seem to know where I had installed 4.5.3.1 on this machine. Can multiple versions be installed on the same machine? If that isn't a good idea: should the currently installed version be UNinstalled first? If not, then I can just point the installer to the directory containing 4.5.3.1. Will the 4.5.3.2 installer again need to know the registration number? (If so it would presumably be the same as was used during the first installation.)

Thanks.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can invent as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Updating from 4.5.3.1 to 4.5.3.2
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 05:23:55 PM »
Mike,

I have been slow about updating PM 4.5.3.1 to 4.5.3.2. Now I'm getting to it, and on launching the 4.5.3.2 installer, I noticed that it doesn't seem to know where I had installed 4.5.3.1 on this machine. Can multiple versions be installed on the same machine? If that isn't a good idea: should the currently installed version be UNinstalled first? If not, then I can just point the installer to the directory containing 4.5.3.1. Will the 4.5.3.2 installer again need to know the registration number? (If so it would presumably be the same as was used during the first installation.)

The installer just has a recommended location.  It doesn't record where you last installed it.  You can browse to your current install folder and install 4.5.3.2 over it and it should work fine.  Your registration information is not stored in the install folder so it won't be lost.

-Kirk

Offline MikeA

• View Profile
Re: Updating from 4.5.3.1 to 4.5.3.2
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 07:54:36 PM »
The installer just has a recommended location.  It doesn't record where you last installed it.  You can browse to your current install folder and install 4.5.3.2 over it and it should work fine.  Your registration information is not stored in the install folder so it won't be lost.

Kirk -- updating went smoothly, with the older version replaced without trouble. I wonder if this wouldn't be worth including some information about -- a small FAQ item somewhere on the web site (well...if it isn't already).

Thanks,

Mike
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can invent as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic