Author Topic: PM thumbs checked and un-checked / Also, what to use for catalogs?  (Read 4943 times)

Offline matthewstarling

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
   I am new to this forum so I hope I do this right. I right now use PM to view images and work with the large amounts of files I have. It is a great program and the best I have seen to work thru so many images and with ease. I for some reason have an issue -- I normally copy the images I am working with into a new folder and leave the RAW untouched. The images are checked and would normally as I work on the in photoshop uncheck when I came back into the PM folder to re-fresh the view.
   Now, the images do not uncheck by themselves. I now have to un-check them manually and would like to know if there is a way to make PM do that for me again. I thought I had all the settings as they have been but not sure. I recently updated PM and now I have this issue. Not a big one, but it helps me work as I go thru the images fast working on them and it helps me keep track of the ones I have worked. Any help?
   Also, the other question is that I have iView MediaPro to catalog images which I still need to figure out how to do since I have more than I need to handle on these drives. I wanted to see if anyone has an opinion on a cataloging program and what works best. I am still learning about iView and right now use it but not to its full potential I am sure. I still need to learn how and get the catalogs set up once I am organized. Does anyone use Extensis Portfolio or have another program that can catalog? Thanks for your support....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM thumbs checked and un-checked / Also, what to use for catalogs?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 12:00:32 PM »
   I am new to this forum so I hope I do this right. I right now use PM to view images and work with the large amounts of files I have. It is a great program and the best I have seen to work thru so many images and with ease. I for some reason have an issue -- I normally copy the images I am working with into a new folder and leave the RAW untouched. The images are checked and would normally as I work on the in photoshop uncheck when I came back into the PM folder to re-fresh the view.
   Now, the images do not uncheck by themselves. I now have to un-check them manually and would like to know if there is a way to make PM do that for me again. I thought I had all the settings as they have been but not sure. I recently updated PM and now I have this issue. Not a big one, but it helps me work as I go thru the images fast working on them and it helps me keep track of the ones I have worked. Any help?

Open up the Preferences dialog.  Click on the Files tab.  Near the bottom is a popup menu titled: "Save/load tag and color class in IPTC/XMP:".  Change it to read: "Never".

-Kirk

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 12:00:58 PM »
Kirk ... could you explain this feature better.  I didn't know it was there and my setting was set to "never"  I changed it to read "for all files" - but can't figure out what it actually does.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 01:12:32 PM »
Kirk ... could you explain this feature better.  I didn't know it was there and my setting was set to "never"  I changed it to read "for all files" - but can't figure out what it actually does.

It causes tag and color class to be saved inside IPTC data within the pictures.  If you then edit the photo with an editor that preserves the IPTC data, then your tag and color class are not lost, they're still inside the IPTC data.  This also has the effect that when doing a "Save As" to a new file, then the new file will inherit the tag and color class of the photo that it came from.

HTH,

-Kirk