Author Topic: XMP Files  (Read 6287 times)

Offline Graham Morgan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
XMP Files
« on: November 10, 2008, 02:40:00 AM »
Hello Kirk and all
I have been ( and will be using ) Capture One 4 to process my raw files, it does not seem to use/update xmp files. While PM does all the initial renaming and such like, i occasionally delete or rename again in  CO 4. Problem is that I end up with loads of xmp files using the wrong (unchanged names/numbers). Can you explain what the main purpose of the xmp files is, I thought this was about photoshop compatability ( star ratings etc ). Maybe it's better to just do away with the now useless xmp files, or never create them, what problems might this cause? I suspect this is a failing in CO 4, what do you suggest. The IPTC info is also not carried over to the processed images, can I do a batch update from the raw files?

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:41:37 AM by Graham Morgan »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: XMP Files
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:27:29 AM »
Graham,

I have been ( and will be using ) Capture One 4 to process my raw files, it does not seem to use/update xmp files. While PM does all the initial renaming and such like, i occasionally delete or rename again in  CO 4. Problem is that I end up with loads of xmp files using the wrong (unchanged names/numbers). Can you explain what the main purpose of the xmp files is, I thought this was about photoshop compatability ( star ratings etc ). Maybe it's better to just do away with the now useless xmp files, or never create them, what problems might this cause? I suspect this is a failing in CO 4, what do you suggest. The IPTC info is also not carried over to the processed images, can I do a batch update from the raw files?

XMP sidecar files are used with RAW files to store all user meta data.  Things like IPTC caption data, color labels, star ratings, tags, etc.

I'm really surprised that such a modern application like Capture One 4 (didn't it come out this year?) still ignores XMP sidecar files.

I suggest calling up the people who make that software and demand that they support XMP sidecar files completely, allowing the XMP meta data to make its way from the RAW file all the way through to final processed images.  Anything less is completely unacceptable.

And yes, Photo Mechanic can batch update JPEGs from the XMP sidecar files of matching RAW files.  Their file names have to be exactly the same (not counting the file name extension) and have to either reside in the same folder or the two folders need to be opened into the same contact sheet.  Then the Update IPTC/XMP tool will be able to do its job.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Graham Morgan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:47:44 AM »
Thanks Kirk

That is what I had thought with regards to Capture One 4 (pro), here is the surprising answer from their technical support.

"Graham,
XMP files are inherent to Adobe software and therefore cannot be read by Capture One software. I apoliogies for the inconvenience.
Kind Regards,
Phase One Support"

Where is the logic in that, it seems so short sighted, I can't quite believe it. Well my xmp files are now useless, crazy.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:52:37 AM »
Graham,

That is what I had thought with regards to Capture One 4 (pro), here is the surprising answer from their technical support.

"Graham,
XMP files are inherent to Adobe software and therefore cannot be read by Capture One software. I apoliogies for the inconvenience.
Kind Regards,
Phase One Support"

Where is the logic in that, it seems so short sighted, I can't quite believe it. Well my xmp files are now useless, crazy.

XMP is an open standard.  It is not in any way proprietary.  Adobe even furnishes a C++ source code library to read and write XMP files which Photo Mechanic uses.  I hope that the Capture One people will support XMP in the future.  Otherwise they are severely limiting the usefulness of their application to a large number of digital photographers!!!

-Kirk

Offline Graham Morgan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 09:11:41 AM »
Graham,

"Graham,
Kind Regards,
Phase One Support"

XMP is an open standard.  It is not in any way proprietary.  Adobe even furnishes a C++ source code library to read and write XMP files which Photo Mechanic uses.  I hope that the Capture One people will support XMP in the future.  Otherwise they are severely limiting the usefulness of their application to a large number of digital photographers!!!

-Kirk

I'd like to have other peoples thoughts about this, it seems like total folly to me. Better still, let Phase One know what you think; maybe they will reconsider.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:35:05 AM by Graham Morgan »