Author Topic: Tag changes modification date  (Read 7506 times)

Offline olidie

• View Profile
Tag changes modification date
« on: November 20, 2008, 01:28:25 PM »
Hi there,

I am currently testing PM and like it better the more i use it. Only thing that really bugs me is that if i tag/untag a picture the modification time is changed - my contact sheets are sorted by modification time. Having tested an older version of PM some time ago I believe to remember that there was a way to prevent this. First i thought that "Add tag, color class and rating to IPTC/XMP: Never" would be the option but it's not.
Any ideas?

Oliver

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Tag changes modification date
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 01:58:41 PM »
Oliver,

I am currently testing PM and like it better the more i use it. Only thing that really bugs me is that if i tag/untag a picture the modification time is changed - my contact sheets are sorted by modification time. Having tested an older version of PM some time ago I believe to remember that there was a way to prevent this. First i thought that "Add tag, color class and rating to IPTC/XMP: Never" would be the option but it's not.
Any ideas?

You're instructing PM to make modifications to the file when you tag it.  The modification time is updated.  This is useful for backup purposes.

Why not use Capture Time sorting instead?

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 02:12:30 PM »
You're instructing PM to make modifications to the file when you tag it.  The modification time is updated.  This is useful for backup purposes.
Why not use Capture Time sorting instead?

Thank you for this immediate reply. Well i tried Capture Time sorting but it's very slow - maybe caused by my antique laptop. Somewhere in this forum i read that sorting by mod. date is faster. My whole picture system is based on date. The originals are kept in one folder, processed pictures seperate. Therefore i like to keep the nefs in the order of the shooting. I used tools > adjust... to get everything back in order.

At least for my workflow tagging is not of importance for any backup. I ingest into a folder, review and tag, then copy all pictures i keep in my camera folder. That's it.

Interestingly now i can tag and untag, refresh and the sorting doesn't change, no matter which contact sheet is opened. Strange - now PM is behaving differently....

oliver

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:32 PM »
My whole picture system is based on date. The originals are kept in one folder, processed pictures seperate. Therefore i like to keep the nefs in the order of the shooting.

The only sort then that will guarantee seeing your photos in the order they were shot is sorting by Capture Time.  Yes it is slower than using Modification Time since the EXIF data has to be parsed out of each image in order to get the Capture Time information.  But Modification Time sorting has no such guarantee.

If you were to rename your photos with the Capture Time in them then the very fastest sort of all (the Filename sort) would work for you.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 12:06:18 AM »
The only sort then that will guarantee seeing your photos in the order they were shot is sorting by Capture Time.  Yes it is slower than using Modification Time since the EXIF data has to be parsed out of each image in order to get the Capture Time information.  But Modification Time sorting has no such guarantee.

If you were to rename your photos with the Capture Time in them then the very fastest sort of all (the Filename sort) would work for you.

It should not be a problem to sort by filename as I rename the files during ingesting with {datesort]_.... This sort then works fine for me with all the original files. Once I switch to my folder which holds all the processed pictures e.g. 2008.nov I would like to see the newest first. I then have to change the sorting. I guess there is no way for each favorite to the remember the sorting?

oliver

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 05:13:59 AM »
oliver,

It should not be a problem to sort by filename as I rename the files during ingesting with {datesort]_.... This sort then works fine for me with all the original files. Once I switch to my folder which holds all the processed pictures e.g. 2008.nov I would like to see the newest first. I then have to change the sorting. I guess there is no way for each favorite to the remember the sorting?

That's true.  Favorites don't save/restore the sort in use at the time they were created.

-Kirk